Another broodie that I didn't know about?? PIC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Luvmybob, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Luvmybob

Luvmybob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    Hello everyone!

I'm a part of the Halloween Hatch but I had another question. I knew that one of my BO set on 10/09/09 but what I didn't know is my other BO set as well under our shed, I'm hoping it was at the same time as my first and I'm still not sure how many eggs she's sitting on, I'm thinking 2. Should we move her or let her be until her eggs hatch?? Also with this cold weather I don't think that my BO in the coop has left her nest at all, in 3 days, we live in FL so it'll be 80+ the rest of the week....I've been feeding her out of my hands but she won't drink, should I be concerned?

[​IMG]

Christian~ my shed broodie sneaky girl!

[​IMG]

Ginger~ trying to hide but in the coop where she is supposed to be!

[​IMG]

Ginger~ so fluffy!

[​IMG]

Bob~ proud papa to be

thanks!!

Dana

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yes, I would worry about her getting dehydrated.
    Can you put some water within reach?
    she's got to be thirsty

3. LovinMyHensInNC!

LovinMyHensInNC! Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't help you much but I would be worried about predators getting her. I have tried keeping turkeys and guinea hens who all make hidden nests in our woods and I have lost every one of them to predators when they became broody.

4. Luvmybob

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    Thank you! I wasn't worried too much as far as predators because she is under the shed and hard to get access to and my dogs are very protective over the yard, but the chicks however would hatch and I'm afraid a snake might get to them before my dogs get the snake. What do you suggest? Should I try to move her to the same coop as Ginger or would the girls fight? Or should I move her to her own "house" ? At night maybe? She's a BIG girl, as big as the roo so moving her will be tough and a wee bit scary, lol..

I will get Ginger some water, hopefully she'll drink it!

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have a couple of broodies that are too goofy to leave the nest to eat, drink, and do their business. I put them off the nest every day. They really MUST poop! As soon as they do, they run back to their eggs.

If I were you, I would put her off the nest. She will return to her eggs within minutes. It's never been a big deal for us. They eat, drink, poo, and RUN back to the nest.

As far as the hen under the shed, I'm not sure what to tell you about that. If it were me, I would move her. I would put her eggs in a dog crate, or something similar. I would then lock her in with them so she can't abandon them and return to her chosen nesting spot. Of course, put food and water in with her. Within a few days, she should decide to stay on the new nest. Just watch her and make sure.

6. Luvmybob

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    Thanks Laura that's what I was going to do( the dog crate ) I just tried to look under Ginger, she pooped on me...*sigh*....when should I worry about the eggs as far as the good, the bad and the ugly? Oh did I mention, it's our first time hatching eggs, you know, me and the chickens??

LOL!

God Bless--
    Dana

7. Luvmybob

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    I seen something~!!!!! OK so I did what Laura said and I just grabbed her and tossed her ( not really tossed ) her out of the coop and she is grumpily running around eating and I checked 3 out of 9 of her eggs, I seen blobs, veins and one of the blobs moved so, I'm guessing chicks???

I didn't want to push her too much so I only checked 3 should I check them all???

Thanks!
    Dana

8. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Those are some of the most beautiful BOs I've ever seen!!! [​IMG]

9. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I woulc get a plastic dog kenel...so its a little dark and grab a big pile of leaves and chuck them in, hook up food and water to the door and move the eggs and hen in there. much safer for her and the chicks. she might be annoyed, but once she knows her eggs are safe she should be fine.

10. Luvmybob

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    AWWWW!! Thank you Julie! I love them so much....

Thank you for the great advice babyblue and to everyone else = )

I'm so grateful to have found this site or I would be lost!

God bless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by