Another Brooding Hen Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jermoatc, Jun 17, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    I have 8 hens. If I let my brooding hen hatch some eggs do I need to take the babies out because my other hens might pick on them or can I let the hen raise them in the yard with the other hens around?

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    It depends. You probably shouldn't keep your broody in with the others, otherwise they'll lay in her box and you'll have a scrambed hatch. I would separate the broody, and once the chicks have hatched you might can put them back in with the main flock but you'd be taking a risk. I would keep them separated the whole time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I don't separate mine, but all flocks are different. You can try and see if the other hens will tolerate chicks. Some will, some won't. Usually you can count on the mama to protect them pretty well, but again, all hens and flocks are different.

As far as identifying the eggs the broody is sitting on, I mark mine with the date she began sitting on the end. Voila, easy identification.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My broodies set in the coop. At hatch time and for a few days after I lock them in the broody crate - really just a large dog crate. About three days after hatch Mama Hen lets me know when she's ready to bring the chicks out to meet the flock. I stay close by as much as possible during that first day or two, but after that the chicks mingle with the flock. Mama hens are usually pretty good about protecting their chicks.

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    My other hens just ignore chicks; chicks are no threat to their pecking order. The only ones who try to bother the chicks are "teenage" chicks and the broody mama usually straightens them out right quick. A few flying ninja kicks (with sound effects) and the teenagers give them a wide berth.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

I have a broody silkie that kicks butt on young roosters, I dunno why. She sees one, she screeches and attacks. [​IMG]

7. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Thanks to all for the input. I appreciate yall so much.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by