Another Broody Duck in Winter :/

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My girls are crazy, I am sure of it. I haven't collected eggs in 2 days...Just Two Days! and of course Buttons has to hoard all of the duck eggs into her nest and already has a ton of down pulled out.

they're gonna make me crazy..

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    are you gonna let her sit?

good luck i wish i had some broodys right now.

3. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    LOL some girls are just crazy. I wish I would just get one egg from any of my girls!

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I almost feel like I should let her set because it's her first time brooding and she's already being soooo protective of the eggs & has built a nice nest so far. I had to remove all the cochin eggs and left her with just 4 duck eggs but there will be at least 3 more tomorrow for her then she's cut off, lol. I might just see how she does the next few days, make sure she's keeping the eggs covered and not kicking any out or anythign weird. My last broody hatched 9 ducklings in freezing weather but sadly i didn't get to them befre she took them outside. I'm more worried about her not keepign the eggs under her than I am about the cold temps... so we'll see how she does.

I have to admit i am pretty proud of her. Buttons is the only hen that is not at all related to any of my original flock, she hatched from eggs i bought down south. I wasn't sure how good a broody she was going to be and was almost considering selling her a while ago..... guess she doesnt wanna leave [​IMG]

5. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    That is great Bleenie,
    I was hoping I would have a couple ducks broody right now so they could sit on my swan eggs. That was my original plan when I got the muscovies, for them to sit & brood swan eggs...but as luck would have it, the swans have laid and I have no broody scovies...oh well, I am letting mom & pops do the deed. Hopefully they will be great parents too..[​IMG]
    I have noticed my boys are chasing the girls every afternoon, so they may be getting ready to make some nest in the near future.
    Good luck Bleenie, I am rootin for ya & your duck ! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by