Another broody hatching question please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Standard Hen, May 12, 2008.

1. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Songster

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    As most of you know (because I can't stop talking about it) I have my first time broody ever and the hatch is due this weekend. When I went out to collect eggs a little while ago she was actually off the nest so I looked in and can't really see the eggs, it looks like they are all buried in the hay, all I could see were 2. The coop stinks awful, next time I do this when I separate I will not leave her locked in like that, I will open the door during the day and have a little safety pen of some sort attached off the coop so only she can get in and out. At least so she can go to the bathroom, she is a white rock and has poop stains all over her belly, I want to just empty that little coop but I know there is no way until after the weekend.
    My question is do they sit on their eggs all buried like that and will the chicks have a hard time getting out of the eggs? I know, nutty question but the time is almost here!

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Songster

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I can only answer as to what I would do, I cant tell you the 'correct' thing to do. I would clean the shavings the best I can because you dont want the babies born with poop all around. I would definately unbury the eggs and leave them lying in the same spot that she has been sitting on them. Good luck.

3. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Songster

May 12, 2008
    I would probably take the eggs out too:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by