Another broody hen question

galaxyflyer1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Corona Ca.
I have four hens, RIR, Black austrolop, Easter egger and a Barred rock. They are over a year old now. No roo, no fertile eggs.

So far, only the Barred rock has gone into broodiness (4 times now). Each time I would keep her away from the nest box and make sure that she gets put on the roost bar at night. After about a week or 2, she snaps out of it. Now here she goes again.

Would leaving her alone and letting her run the complete course reduce the frequency of broodiness? These hens are our pets that we raised from little on, and I don't mind the lack of eggs. But her stubbornness is starting to p!$$ me off. When she sits, I throw her out and spray her with the water hose.

Oh BTW, does this site have any good BBQ chicken recipes?

Bob
Corona Ca.

Some are just more broody than others. There's no telling why, except they aren't machines, they're creatures. You could try letting her actually brood some eggs and see what happens. However, as with any bird, that's no guarantee that they won't go broody again a couple weeks after they raise their chicks. Some people just let their broody ones do the hatching each year.

About recipes, btw, a hen that's old enough to lay will be so tough you'll only be able to make stock or soup after long, slow cooking.

Sorry, but it's not stubbornness, it's nature and instinct. She's not doing it to piss you off, she's doing it because her hormones are compelling her to do it. Many people would love to have a broody hen, but the hens they have simply don't have that natural instinct. Maybe you could give this hen away to someone else who wants a broody and swap her for a nonbroody breed.

Last edited:
I had a barred rock that went broody and man did I ever try to break her.......it didn't work. I had to let her hatch out some eggs. Especially since barred rocks aren't typically a broody bird....she has been the best mama ever!!

I always let my broodies brood. My husband hates when I hatch and brood chicks in the incubator, so I bought a bunch of the broodiest birds I could find just so I can get a year-round hatching fix. I have 4 broodies out in the barn right now - 2 on eggs, 2 raising chicks.

So I've never tried to break a broody, but I hear giving them ice cubes to set on will help break her and putting her in "broody jail", a cage with a wire bottom, so she gets cool air on her tail end.

I have a Blue Wyandotte hen that has gone broody and has been sitting on golf balls for over 5+ weeks. There is no way she is giving up so I am going to give her a couple of eggs to hatch and see what kind of mother she will be. I am happy because I plan on using her to hatch eggs for me in the future. Your hen will continue to be broody as it seems to be her nature. I agree that you should sell her to someone who wants a broody and get another non-broody breed. She will be happier and so will you!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Your Blue Dot's broody? So is mine. She had barely started laying when she went big broody on us, perpetually. I've never had this breed before.

Thanks everyone. Ya, I know Elmo, "it's not stubbornness, it's nature and instinct".

I guess I'm just trying to find a magical way to change nature. I thought about giving her to a good home that would want a brooder. I would have to do my homework to make sure that they wont eat her, but I guess I wouldn't know anyway. She is the tamest hen I have and when she is not broody, she can be a real cool pet chicken.

Perhaps I should just leave her be if I don't miss the amount of eggs during the broody times. I do visit the chickens about 2x a day and throw her out so she will drink, eat and poop. If I hear of somebody that wants a very tame, broody hen in my area, maybe I will give her away.

Thanks,
Bob

Back
Top Bottom