Another broody hen with newbie parents

Roger-B

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 14, 2007
One of our five hens got egg bound and did allot of uncomfortable sitting until the egg passed. After a couple of days she started sitting on the nest again with great single mindedness, but the vet assured us that she was just broody. When we take her out of the box to give her some exercise and food, the others peck at her in her puffed up, slightly crazed condition. We have read that we should make her nesting box less comfortable by elevating her on a mesh so that air passes under her. I am prepared to set this up but the other four chickens use the same nesting box and my wife feels it is unfair to have the others suffer discomfort because of their obsessed sister. Separating the one from the others will be a challenge. Any counsel would be welcome.

You could get some eggs for her to hatch, you could wait her out eventually she will give up. I broke my broody Silkie by putting ice cubes under her, but it didn't work for my Buff Orp. I had to remove her from the nest twice a day and in about a week she was gave up.

Back
Top Bottom