Another Broody? Need Help! Sad Outcome =(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

We were about 2 days from hatch and something strange has happened to our broody. Last night when I went to turn out her light I found her standing up sleeping, and her eggs were ice cold. Can she tell if the eggs were duds? I'm heartbroken thinking that we won't get any babies from this batch. [​IMG] This morning she was laying on the nest, but the eggs were kicked out to one side. She seems depressed now. I haven't removed the egs yet, but I did clean out the dog crate she was in. Up until yesterday she wouldn't let me get any where near her nest, and now she just stands there with a blank look on her face. Poor thing. This is also our first broody experience, so I don't know what to think.

I have one more question. Even though she isn't sitting on her eggs anymore, would she accept other chicks? We were planning on picking up chicks next weekend to put with the ones that were supposed to hatch Tuesday. Now I'm wondering if I should. She seems very sad though, so I'm wondering if that will help.

Thanks for answering my questions?
    Sonja

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I do know that you can put baby chicks under a broody. I did it, first in the day time and she did not accept them, then slipped them under her at night and she took them and raised them as her own.

Good luck

3. mylilchix

Our first broody experience has come to a tragic ending. We're really upset over the whole thing. We lost both chicks 3 days before hatch, and I'm not expecting our hen to make it through the night. [​IMG] I haven't been able to get near her for days because she'd bite very hard when I'd try. Well I discovered that she hasn't been pooping, and her vent was impacted with dry poop. I don't think she could lay down any more, and that's what killed the chicks. I keep blaming myself for not trying to force her off of her nest. I've cleaned out her vent, and she's resting comfortably. She won't eat or drink, so it's only a matter of time. [​IMG]

Sonja:(
    (bad chicken mommy)

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

5. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    [​IMG]

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I'm so sorry but thank you for posting this because you may have helped others. I have a first-time broody and am going to go out right now and check on her.

We've had some hens that we didn't think were going to make it, and we offered them some sugar water in a shotglass. They would drink that way; it's worth a try. I sure hope she'll be ok and I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you through out the eggs? I've heard that even eggs that have been in the refrigerator have hatched out before in certain events. All that happens in that the fertility rate goes down.

I'm so sorry. This must be torture to you, waiting for what may be. I hope you've come in time, and don't blame yourself. You can't always fix a mistake you aren't to blame for. You've done all you could for now.

You're a good chicken Mommy. We're not superheros. [​IMG]

8. mylilchix

I actually cracked the eggs this afternoon. Both chicks weren't moving or breathing. They unfortunately had died. My cochin is still hanging on. I've given her some molasses in water (I had been told it acts as a laxative for chickens). She had a poop while I was with her. It was runny, but started to have the normal color to it. Poor thing is so weak. I'm praying that I can attempt to nurse her back to health, but she just doesn't look good. Thank you all for your kind words. I just hope that others will keep an eye on their broodys, so this doesn't happen to someone else.

Sonja

9. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    I'm sorry... Please keep us informed as to your girl is doing...

10. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry about your eggs:(
    But, I want to thank you for posting. I have my first broody and she is setting on 6 eggs. I tried to move her into a little pen I built in the run but after 15-20 mins I heard her making a rukus and then she came flying out into the run!
    I scooped her and her eggs up and put her back under the nest boxes in the chicken house. She hollowed out a nest in the shavings and got happy again.
    So then I went and got the dog crate and put hay and shavings in there and moved her off the eggs and grabbed up the eggs and some of that bedding they were on and put them in the crate. Then I put her in the crate and she made herself mommy again.
    I am hoping to move the dog crate to the pen I built for her so she will get comfortable out there. I fixed it so she can raise the babies out there too.
    I never would have thought about her not drinking enough or getting pasted! I will offer her sugar water a couple of times a day and hope that she drinks a little thru the day. She does eat cuz I put food in her face and she does pick at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by