Another Broody question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Zoo, May 18, 2009.

1. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    How soon after stopping being broody will a hen start laying again?
    I'm still waiting for my hen 'Easy' to start laying again. I've even threatened her with the soup pot or fryer but she knows it's an empty threat - I'm vegetarian!

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    haha I am curious about this as well.

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    usually about 5-6 weeks. Mine started again at about 3.5.

4. The Zoo

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Wow - well I guess it does take a while to get their bodies back into laying shape. At least she's not broody any more!

5. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Just make sure she's getting a good diet and plenty of calcium. The first thing you will notice is that she will be "eager" to be with a rooster. A day or two later, you've got eggs again usually!

6. The Zoo

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Um 'eager' to be with a rooster? Please explain. I have no rooster so if she's flaunting herself, it's only for my benefit and I probably won't notice. When I pet her she crouches down - my neighbor said that was a 'come and get me big boy' behavior but I'm not sure.

7. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    yeah, that's a "big boy" response. [​IMG] If she's already doing that you should be seeing eggs soon. Somebody else on here had a thread recently about "fluffing hen's butts" ...basically simulating rooster behavior.

8. The Zoo

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Naturally on the day I posted a question - she just laid hr first egg after stopping being broody (about a week ago). Just found it - it was smaller than a normal egg for her and a very pale buff color but it was definitely her so YEA!
    Glad I didn't have to fluff her butt, I'm not sure I know her well enough for that [​IMG]

9. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Very funny.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by