Another Broody! What Would You Do Here?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by speckledhen, Mar 4, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a Buff Orp broody going into Day 9 on her eggs. Today, it seems one of the younger Blue Orp girls, Dusty, has gone broody too. I was already collecting my own Blue Orp eggs and Barred Easter Egger eggs to incubate and the bator is coming up to temp right now.

My question is this: I have 15-17 Blue Orp eggs to set, but this is Dusty's first time broody, so she's unproven. Do I give her any of the Orps (which I will sell as day olds-someone has already expressed interest in them) or just give her some of the EE eggs, which are not as important? I will be setting the bator eggs first thing in the morning and giving Dusty some eggs, IF she does not go to roost tonight, meaning she is serious.

My other broody, Nugget, is doing quite well with hers, though I found one crushed in one spot and had to remove it. Not sure how that happened, but other than that, it's going very well for her.

This is the first time I've had two at once.

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    give it to me. haha

3. speckledhen

You want a broody, dave? I love my broodies, but not all at once. I just hope a third doesn't get the urge till these are done! I have no room and will have to work up some makeshift broody pens for them. Well, my DH will have to---I still cant walk down to the coops, dang it.

4. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    I would save on my electricity bill by turning of the incubator and putting maybe just a handful of eggs under her if she still acts broody tonight or tomorrow.

Good luck![​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    How many eggs do you need? [​IMG] [​IMG] Nugget needs some sisters! [​IMG]

6. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I would place the EE eggs under her.

Best Of Luck!

I have yet to get a broody orpington, but currently have two broody muscovies!

7. speckledhen

Jody, I dont know about getting any eggs shipped right now, but thanks for the offer! Right now, I'm just giving these girls eggs so I dont have to try to break them up, but I may have to do that if I have too many girls broody at the same time. I just dont have facilities for all these broodies. I would put one in the little hexagonal coop we call the Firetower, but the chicks currently in the brooder will be going out there in a couple of weeks. Ah, logistics! [​IMG]

8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I have a blue orp broody sitting on eggs now its her first time and she is doing really good I have only found one crushed egg and I know she has 12 or so. My broody Cochin is also sitting on 6 Doodle my blue cochin just came off a nest but only one hatched. Any of course those banties Everytime you turn around at least two or three are one nests. I found 11 biddies yesteday in one of the goat house and had to put up a brooder really fast. I don't even want to know how many the other bantams are on. Theres two hens in the same nest box and has been for two weeks. Noone ever told me how prolific those banties are.lol I would lether sit some even if its only the EE's Who needs an incubator when you have banties.lol

9. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I'd go with the EE eggs too, Cyn. Just to be on the safe side.

You could always send one to me and I can have her talk to my BO about this broody business. Then I'd send her back and she would be all done with being broody! lol

Mine is almost 1 year old and I'm still waiting for her to go broody! Hopefully soon...

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I'd put the EE's under her as well just to be on the safe side where it's her first time. Good luck Cyn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by