another bubbly eye question - **pics**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by igotchickens, Jan 23, 2011.

1. igotchickens

igotchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Did a search but couldn't find a clear way to handle this problem. My pullet has a bubbly eye, only her left eye seems to be affected. The membrane looks a tiny bit swollen too. She is eating and drinking normally, is not lethargic and isn't exhibiting any behaviors that look different than any of my healthy hens. Nose and throat also look normal and I haven't noticed any sneezing. I've never had a sick hen before but she seems fine other than the eye thing. What do you guys think and how to treat? I was thinking terramycin ointment for the eye and something in the water? I wouldn't feel comfortable giving an injection as I've never done it before. Let me know! Here are some pics, the last one is a picture of her blinking, I decided to add it in case the membrane looks abnormal to you...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have seen quite a few on her treat their birds with the terramycin eye ointment so since she doesn't have any other symptoms why not try that first. Have you been able to wash her eye out with some saline flush or just some warm water to see if she might have something in there? keep us posted..

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. knsoper

knsoper New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    Penn Valley, Ca
    So I'd love to know what happened with this chicken? I have a girl with something very similar and I'm trying to figure out what to do with her.

Thanks!!

4. igotchickens

Nov 2, 2010
    I treated with terramycin but it didn't help. I also used saline squirt from Walgreens. Eventually the bubbles went away. She just had a bigger inner eyelid on that eye. Died of sour crop 2 years later (obviously unrelated to the eye issue).

5. knsoper

knsoper New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    Penn Valley, Ca
    Thanks for responding!! Did it spread to any of your other chickens?

6. sunheeter

sunheeter Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2014
    Ventura County
    Have you guys seen this before? [​IMG]

His feathers cause the skin to fall on top of the right eye, and he's got a pretty bad eye infection. I have some drops from a vet, and I cut back the feathers, any other ideas of what I can do?

7. knsoper

knsoper New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    Penn Valley, Ca
    Wish you luck sunheeter! My pullet's eye looks like the one above. I tried two different antibiotics, and a dewormer with no luck. I'm at a loss!

8. igotchickens

Nov 2, 2010
    In my case it did not spread to other chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by