Another bumblefoot post-PICS

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
My Ameraucana sweetie has bumblefoot. It's a scab underneath, and swelling on the top.
My post is about alot of advice about which way to treat; what antibiotic is best
what topical treatment is best
antibiotic for how long and which one
cut it or not
cut how deep
cut on top or on the bottom

There are so many opinions, how do I choose which one is right?

Last edited:
We noticed bumblefoot last night on my Australorp. One foot is worse than the other. On the less bad foot we found the scab--which I picked off, got the pus out, disinfected and wrapped up with triple antibiotic.

On the larger foot we could not figure out where to access the pus, as there is no visible scab. The swelling is under the ball of the foot and pushing up between her front toes. After some poking around we decided to just disinfect and wrap the whole in triple antibiotic.

This is my first experience with bumblefoot, and I think I am going to just take her to the vet tomorrow and have him show me what to do. I know she needs internal antibiotic, too and I can't even get medicated feed on a Sunday so I think my hands are tied for now.

Here's the pics.

3891_foot_004.jpg

3891_foot_002.jpg

I put honey mixed with vasoline and put it on the spot where the bumble is and wrapped it. It worked up the bumble and poped on itself then I just put bactrisin on it and it healed up.

yep that looks like a typical bumblefoot lesion...
once you make the cut to attempt to remove the "pus" (which will be in more solid form than liquid) then this is an entry point for more infection... you need to clean that foot well (disinfectant such as novalsan /hibiscrub etc) ensure the instruments you use are clean (boil dip in alcohol and then iodine) and remember your hands are also possible source of infection. After removal, Fill the cavity with hydrogel > I would suggest in the first place GRANULEXV:
http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/granulex.htm
(or with honey (no vaseline is necessary) soaked sterile bandage (repeat daily)
bandaging the foot after removal can be seen in the photos provided in the section on bumblefoot at AVIAN WOUND MANAGEMENT site:
http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2003/november/Cousquer/Avian-Wound-Management-Part-2.html

Do not let your bird on ground /soil until healed.

Last edited:
I have removed the bottom scab several times, and not got any puss. I have lanced the top one and gotten puss several times. Do I lance the top one again? How deep should I go? Poor thing , she hides from me. She is one of my sweet little favorites.
I have some sterile equipment, and know sterile technique.
Should she be on antibiotics?

Back
Top Bottom