Another Bumblefoot Post

Thank you so much for your help! ❤️ I don’t have any of the supplies you suggested. I have to go to the city today and will pick up some spray, powder, vaseline, and chlorhexidine. However, I don’t know where to get chlorhexidine. Do farm stores carry it?

I also have a problem with the weather. I can treat the chickens with powder, but I can’t treat the coop. Our temps are in the single digits for the rest of the week and won’t get above freezing during the day until Saturday or Sunday, and then, just the low 30’s. I may have to just keep treating these chickens for a while until it’s warm enough to clean the coop. Any suggestions?

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but this is the first time I’ve had to treat my chickens for anything! How do I soak her feet? Do I just put some warm water in a tub and let her stand in it? I assume I’ll have to hold her so she doesn’t jump out. She’s not big on being held.
You find find Chlorhexidine at stores like Walmart or CVS, it's called Hibiclens. Feed stores often carry it as well, the bottle would just say Chlorhexidine.

In cold weather, I would use the Permethrin dust to treat the chickens and coop. I put the dust in an old sock, then tap the sock onto the feathers to release the powder. I work the dust through the feathers down to the skin. Some use a puffer to get the dust into nooks and crannies of the coop/housing. I've seen some suggest using a condiment bottle like you would put catchup or mustard in, just put some powder in it and use like a puffer...I haven't tried the bottles so don't know if it'd work well or not.

If soaking just the feet, all you need is shallow water that covers the feet. You can use a dish pan, tote, put her in a sink, etc. You may have to hold her, some I've had to hold, others have been agreeable, you never know.
Just dry her really well before she goes out in the cold again, if any feathers get wet, you can use a hairdryer to get her dry.

Keep us posted on how she's getting along.

1645671855364.png

You find find Chlorhexidine at stores like Walmart or CVS, it's called Hibiclens. Feed stores often carry it as well, the bottle would just say Chlorhexidine.

In cold weather, I would use the Permethrin dust to treat the chickens and coop. I put the dust in an old sock, then tap the sock onto the feathers to release the powder. I work the dust through the feathers down to the skin. Some use a puffer to get the dust into nooks and crannies of the coop/housing. I've seen some suggest using a condiment bottle like you would put catchup or mustard in, just put some powder in it and use like a puffer...I haven't tried the bottles so don't know if it'd work well or not.

If soaking just the feet, all you need is shallow water that covers the feet. You can use a dish pan, tote, put her in a sink, etc. You may have to hold her, some I've had to hold, others have been agreeable, you never know.
Just dry her really well before she goes out in the cold again, if any feathers get wet, you can use a hairdryer to get her dry.

Keep us posted on how she's getting along.

View attachment 3003262
Thank you so much! Yesterday I was able to find powder and permethrin liquid concentrate. Didn’t find Chlorhexidine, but found an old bottle in the cupboard. Thanks for the tip about Hibiclens. I might be able to find that.

So far my “Lucky” girl is doing ok. She keeps bleeding from one toenail that I had to cut back severely and I keep putting clotting powder on it as well as using a styptic pencil on it. I was gone all day yesterday, so today I’ll try to get her treated.

Update 3/1/2022: A few days ago I removed Lucky’s bandage and soaked her feet in Chlorhexedine. I dried them off and slathered them with Vaseline before bandaging the foot again. Yesterday, I removed the bandage and this is how she looks. Why are her scales turning black? Is this just from dirt, or is this from the mites? Is there something else I should be doing? Instead of soaking her feet again, I just dabbed the sores with Chlorhexedine and rebandaged her foot and put her back in her crate.

I also got permethrin and dusted all the chickens last Wednesday. Can’t clean the coop yet, but I’m going to dust the chickens again tomorrow.

Attachments

• 105B8378-329D-4382-BFEA-88F9B5D5BC96.jpeg
    105B8378-329D-4382-BFEA-88F9B5D5BC96.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 2
  • 7A263BC8-67C7-463E-A19C-1A39AA3FD5DB.jpeg
    7A263BC8-67C7-463E-A19C-1A39AA3FD5DB.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 36C14914-FA45-4E67-BBB9-76C64C2E4D81.jpeg
    36C14914-FA45-4E67-BBB9-76C64C2E4D81.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 2
  • C0EA07FF-0FB1-4E28-892F-514443EBF373.jpeg
    C0EA07FF-0FB1-4E28-892F-514443EBF373.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 2
The black under the scales looks like dirt/debris from the mites. Next time you soak the feet, give the legs and scales a gentle scrub with a soft brush like a nail brush or old toothbrush to help loosen that up.

The black under the scales looks like dirt/debris from the mites. Next time you soak the feet, give the legs and scales a gentle scrub with a soft brush like a nail brush or old toothbrush to help loosen that up.
Ok, I’ll try that. Thank you!
Should I also put more Vaseline on after soaking?

Back
Top Bottom