another bunny question- bathes?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Autumn T, May 5, 2009.

1. Autumn T

Autumn T Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2008
    Central Texas
    Pookie got himself in a jam last night
    turned his sleeping box around and got trapped in it...so he peed in it and laid in it

now he is a stinky mess and not cuddly at all

can I bathe him?
    what soap?
    do I need to dry him after with blow dryer?

2. chinbunny1

chinbunny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    I wouldn't bathe him. Just put him where he can stay clean, and he'll get himself cleaned up in a day or two.

3. teeny

teeny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    West Virginia
    i have a mini lop , my boyfriends kids both have a rabbit ( a lionshead and a polish dwarf) . i was told by the feed store and a friend that breeds rabbits that you can bathe them with kitten shampoo or rabbit shampoo ( if you can find this one ) BEST OF LUCK!

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Have you tried those cat/dog bath wipes? That may be less stressful for him than a bath. Or maybe just wipe him with a warm washcloth (keep rinsing & ringing it out). He should just clean himself, but I'd be like you and having to do something, haha!

I can only imagine if I tried to give my bun a bath! EEK! LOL [​IMG]

5. Autumn T

Autumn T Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2008
    Central Texas
    well he bathed his front half but isn't touching his back side
    his feet are orange with pee (white fur)

guess a warm clothe bath is what will happen tomorrow

my kids are going nuts wanting to hold him again and he is going nuts wanting out to play

6. Ravenna

Ravenna Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    SLO County, California
    I used to raise and show rabbits for many years. Normally, rabbits clean themselves. If he hasn't cleaned his potty off by now, get some mild baby shampoo (you can get rabbit or kitten shampoo, I just think they are over-priced when baby shampoo is just as effective) and I would put a mat down in the tub (some protested, some just sat there, depends on your bunny) or kitchen sink, scrub gently and rinse with a cup with warm water. I would then blow them dry with very very low heat blower dryer, brush them out and then they would just dry the rest themselves quite quickly. [​IMG] Presto, clean and fresh smelling bunny! He might struggle and try to jump out (and go poopies) but don't worry, he will eventually calm down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by