1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another - Can chickens eat....horse feed...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cottagechick, Jan 21, 2012.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I saw some 35%protein horse feed for 8 bucks...is there any reason it wouldn't be a good idea to mix that with scratch, kitchen scraps and foraging?

2. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Wow, are you sure it was 35% protein? I don't think I have ever seen a horse feed that high. I mixed a bag of horse feed in with my scratch, and I started getting ugly green yolks [​IMG], so I stopped feeding it. I don't think I'll try that again.

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    35% sounds like ration balancer that they give to horses in very small amounts. I have never heard of it for that cheap though. Usually it's about $25. I don't see where it would do any harm as long as it's mixed with other feed stuff.

4. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    It must be a supplememnt or like mentioned above a ration balancer or something. Horse feed is usually 8-16% protien. Any more then that is dangerous. Back on the subject though. Mine eat any feed they can find on the ground. I don't feed it to them but they check the barn after feeding time daily

5. RoosterRanch

RoosterRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Waverly WV
    My 2cents I dont feed my chickens horse feed but they do seem to get a lot of it via my sloppy eating mare. They beat feet to the barn when I let them out as they know I am going to feed the horse. She tends to drop a lot when she eats and they clean up every bit. They also do a lot of picking through the "road apples" for seeds that have passed through. No ill effects that I am aware of.

PS its a 12 percent grain mix

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  6. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I asked the girl at Wilco what she thought and and she told me that it wouldn't be good for chickens because horse feed has alot of molasses in it???

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    That sound more like a Concentrate used in a feed mix and not a complete feed.

Chris

8. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    I agree with the responses. It actually sounds like a supplement called Calf Manna. It is a 25% supplement for cattle and horses. It is to be fed as a supplement in there normal ration. Not as a soul source of feed. I do feed this occassionaly to me chickens. Not as a complete feed but as a treat. It smells like black licorice and the horses and chickens love it. If it was only $8.00 then it was probably outdated. When my hens are in full moult is the only time I feed it as a treat bc the extra protein is good for them during this stressful time. I work at our local TSC and we don't carry any horse feed that's that high in protein. Also there are a lot of horse feeds that do not contain molasses. I personally don't feed anything with molasses to my 3 horses. If we have reduced horse feed that's molasses based I will buy it bc my two little minipigs love it for a treat lol. No feed goes to waste here, lol. If I can get it cheap something I have will eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by