Another case of rooster crowing all night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jemimarose, Nov 11, 2013.

1. jemimarose

jemimarose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    I did some research on this site as to why my rooster crows all night, and I have a question: he's about 6 months old and I've had him for a couple months. When I first got him, he rarely crowed, but he has recently discovered his manhood and now he won't shut up. Could it be hormones that will settle down after a while? We live in the middle of nowhere--no traffic, no lights, no noise, no other roosters to talk to. Even if there were a predator prowling around the coop, it wouldn't stay around all night long, every night. I honestly don't know how the flock hasn't died from lack of sleep with all the racket he makes. Once I was so sick of his noise that I locked him in the bathroom of our camping trailer. He might have still been crowing, but at least I couldn't hear him.
    So, do y'all think he'll settle down eventually?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have and have had a lot of roosters, and not one has crowed all night. Is the coop closed or open? Critters can and will freak them out, especially if they are trying to find a way in.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    This is an unknown problem to me, as well. I've had boys start crowing at 4am, but never all night. It sounds like he feels the need to be vigilant for some reason.

4. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine crows at twelve am and at four am every day,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by