Another Cautionary Warning! UPDATE w/pics post #11!

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by The Sheriff, Jun 15, 2011.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    st #11The other day my husband was working in the yard. One of the goats knocked over a box of roofing screws. One of our 3 month old emus immediately ate three of them before he could pick them up. We just got back from the vet and he does indeed have the three roofing screws, several other assorted screws, a rectangular piece of metal and a lot of rocks in his gullet. The immediate danger is perforation and later toxicity from the zinc coating of the roofing screws. Our options are surgery, and I am waiting for a call back from the avian vet, or doing a Metamucil flush 3 times a day for several days in hopes of moving the stuff through. Option 1 is "dicey and probably expensive" and option 2 is "not likely to work but worth a try."

[​IMG]

We stopped by the Equipment Rental store on the way home and rented one of those big magnets on wheels and DH is using it to pick up all the metal crap left around the barn by prior owners and our barn builder. I am freaking out waiting for return phone calls. Just wanted to let those new to emus know the danger. We will probably take our second emu in for x-rays tomorrow since she has probably been eating the same items.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Holy cow! [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Hope they are OK

Imp

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I hope they pass with the flush.

5. AlexBracken

AlexBracken Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to be more careful. What an awful predicament to be in! I hope the flush can wash them out.

6. Supreme Emu

Supreme Emu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Oh, Warden! I've been worried about this issue for a long time: my farmhouse is on an abandoned sheep farm. There is glass and junk lying about all over the place, and literally hundreds of yards of old wire fences.

In places where there were lots of little bits of windscreen glass and the like, I went around with a wheelbarrow-load of dirt, and simply buried those shinies.

Good luck to your innocent little emu.

Supreme Emu

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I know my emus have ate screws, earrings and what ever else is buried in the yard they find. They have all so far made it to adulthood and are a few years old. Others I know eat strange things too..... but are all still living. I would think if it was in the croup they could either sedate him and pass a small tube or magnet into the croup and pull it out? When I tube feed sick chickens, you pass a tube down the throat, into the croup and inject food, why couldn't it be reversed and a tube hooked to a vacuum?

8. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    I hope your emus will be ok [​IMG].

9. 2buckskins

2buckskins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern CA
    I was also thinking perhaps a magnet could be used somehow to help get everything out.... I hope they are okay! [​IMG]

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow - I had a dog with xrays about like that...FOUR different times. Hope your little emu does fine... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by