Another chick died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickNLittle, Apr 12, 2008.

1. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I had a hatch a few days ago, well almost a week. Two were silkies and they both died. Both of them were fine and then one of them started off not walking and leaning to the side. I thought maybe she/he injured a wing. The other one I thought had splayed legs. But the first one died and the second immediately got ill and keeled over on his side. Then from the same hatch I had a RIR who did the same thing the next day. I then had three chicks left. Two barred rocks and one leghorn. This morning I checked the chickens and they were all fine. A few hours later, I noticed one of the barred rocks was tipping to the side and unactive. He died this evening. The other two still look healthy and they are the biggest ones of the hatch. What could this be? I have them in a brooder and the room is extra warm as well. Someone told me I just need to leave them in the incubator for a few days....whats your take on this?

Second problem with other chicks:

Also, I had a hatch of only a few eggs a few weeks ago. They are doing well, however, they look like they are going into molting already? The other day my friend gave me two leghorns and they look the same way. They are about 2 or 3 months old? I am so confused.....Is this normal?

2. Crazy4GameCocks

Crazy4GameCocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    i found out after mind did the same thing The humidty was to high when they were in the bator and has efficted them when i keeped little water in the bator I had no more problems

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Also, I had a hatch of only a few eggs a few weeks ago. They are doing well, however, they look like they are going into molting already? The other day my friend gave me two leghorns and they look the same way. They are about 2 or 3 months old? I am so confused.....Is this normal?

Are you just talking about their little teenage phase? I have heard it desccribed as everything from "awkward" to "fugly". I think it is cute in a semi-feathered, funky way. LOL Can you post a pic?​

4. ChickNLittle

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Yeah Crazy, I was wondering about the humidity myself.

And Luv, I don't know whether it would be the "teenage" phase or not. Both groups of the chicks are different ages. Like I said, I think the ones that were given to me are about 2-3 months, maybe more. The other two were mine from a previous hatch about two weeks ago. The ones that were given to me look like they had a lot of feathers plucked out around the neck and breast area?

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Hmmm...well, is it possible they are naked necks? Seriously, a pic would help a LOT!!!!

6. gittinrdun2356

gittinrdun2356 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2008
    mattoon ill
    [​IMG]i have a 6 week old rooster cornish that came up lame this mornong and wont walk just leans and balances with his wing what could it be? he is eating but wont walk or move very much and we carried him in from the barn to a indoor box because it is really cold tonight but should i kill it and eat him tomarrow

7. ChickNLittle

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Yeah Luv, I'll get some photos of them tomorrow. Both sets! Would it be possible they may have mites? I never had an experience with mites before so I was just wondering? Thanks~

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Please describe your brooder setup...do you have a lamp?
    What is the temp (you should monitor this) ?
    What are you feeding? (Smell the feed for any musty odor or excessive fines)
    Did you disinfect the brooder after your last hatch?
    The sudden death indicates to me a basic problem with either heat/temperature (chilling or overheating). feed (mycotoxin or such possibly) or a bacterial agent (tho with no symptoms before death other than what you stated this is less a possiblity)
    You can give your birds three drops of polyvisol enfamil into beak once a day for a week...wont hurt and might help

9. ChickNLittle

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Temp in booder is 85 degrees.
    Temp in incubator was 100-101. Incubator and brooder are always disinfected after each hatch.
    I'm feeding FRM Chick Starter
    Well Water (which I am beginning to be concerned about). I am switching to bottled water today. I have two chicks left that look very healthy so far. I don't drink this well water (its sulfer water).
    I have another hatch coming up with 17 silkies next week and I want to try to figure this out so I don't lose them.
    Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

10. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    If your well water is not good enough for you to drink then it is insufficient quality for your birds... I would not use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by