Another chick is sick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lady Chickadee, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I had a chick that died because it was very weak and wobbly. We thought it was just because shipping and all but now we have one bantam that's acting like that to. She was fine and was active like the others but all of a sudden she started to sleep a lot and fell asleep in my hand.She is wobbly and I think she might have pecked at the food but I don't think shes drinking water and shes separated from the other chicks. We are making her drink sugar water and making her drink this stuff we bought called Poultry Nutri-Drench .I'd really hate to loose another one,they got here on Friday. Is this some kind of sickness or what?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Lady Chickadee

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Okay,thanks.Shes getting a little stronger so hopefully we'll be able to save her and she did drink and eat on her own but then fell asleep.
    Edit:She will walk around but she mostly just stands there chirping her little head off. I put another little chick in there with her but shes still chirping. Should I put her back in there with the others? I'm afraid the others will just run her over like they did before.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Is she warm enough?

5. Lady Chickadee

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Ya I think so, shes not acting like it or anything. All the others are acting fine to.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  6. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Panting would mean she's to hot.. does she stay right under the light trying to keep warm? I had a bantam that was smaller then my other bantam of the same hatch. She was so tired.. always had her head slowly drop.. I felt sorry for her because every time she'd close her eyes the other chicks would run past and bump her. About a weak or so of vi-tal water she snapped/outgrew it. She's a happy camper now. Id put her back with the others if they weren't picking on her.

7. Lady Chickadee

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Oh oops haha I read that wrong.I think I'm going to try to put her back with the others since shes a little stronger now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by