Another Chick Sexing Post - Need Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ivanlt, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ivanlt

ivanlt New Egg

Dec 3, 2009
    Newbie here. We bought 17 chicks (4 silkies and 13 assorted breed) about 2 months ago. As there are no way to sex silkies, I am expecting some of the silkies might be roos. However, we bought the remaining 13 chicks with the understanding that they are pullets - for some reasons, I strongly suspect that they are roos. Could the sexing experts in the forum give some opinions based on the pic below? Pics are the same chick just different angle - she/ he is 8 weeks old. Many thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Hatchery Silver laced wyandotte roo.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I agree with Katy.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    For the age, yes, I agree it looks like a roo. Keep in mind that the hatcheries don't 100% guarantee they will be pullets. They do their best but some slip by them. I'm not sure if they all give the same percentage, but MPC (MyPetChicken) guarantees accuracy to 90%. I'm guessing most others offer a similar guarantee. With a 90% rate, out of 13, you could expect one or even two roos and still fall within their guaranteed accuracy.

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Definately a roo!

6. ivanlt

ivanlt New Egg

Dec 3, 2009
    Thank you very much for your responses. Unfortunately, out of the 13 chicks that are supposed to be pullets, 7 of the chicks are like as shown in pic - roos. Furthermore, my neighbors are against roo. Thus, roos will have to go. By the way, how could you tell it is a roo based on the pics? is it the size? I am not doubting the conclusion but would like to better learn the act of sexing.

7. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

I suspect there is one hatchery - and I won't say which since this is just my opinion (but I will say it is NOT MM) - knows full well when they are sending roos. While sitting with my chickens one day last summer, I thought I had a beak problem with a young roo. Closer attention - I noticed that all of my 'accidental' roos from said hatchery had the tips of their beaks removed. I compared them to roos from other hatcheries (no removal), pullets from the same hatchery (no removal) and to roos I had ordered (as roos) from that hatchery - all of the males had the same procedure done. This suggests to me that "they" had dubbed their roos fjor some reason and KNEW when they were adding them to fill my order.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Basically from his comb and wattles. Somewhat from his streaky lacing, but that's harder to tell by when it's a slw from a hatchery.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Rooster based on the comb and wattles. A pullet that age would not have that pronounced of a comb (or that red of one). Also in the 2nd pic, it looks as though his tail feathers are starting to curl.

10. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    He's feathering in like my Wyandotte roos did. Beautiful boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by