Another chicken and egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilshadow, Jun 3, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I have only had my flock since Jan. The lady that gave them to me said that they were a year to a year and a half old. Out of the 13 I have, I only get 6 eggs daily. I kept wondering why I wasn't getting 13 eggs. Come to find out (today) she said they were 5 yrs going on 6 yrs old. I don't want to keep hens that are non productive, these are not pets they provide me with eggs for my family. Are they to old to eat? Does this make sense to anyone? With prices the way they are I can't keep feeding them if they are non productive. I am going to sit and watch to see which ones are still laying, and the ones that aren't. I will band the ones that are laying, and the others we thought about butchering them, but need to know if the meat will be too tough?
    Veronica

2. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I have 12 hens, yesterday I got 12 eggs, today I got 6. Some days I get 3! My RIR is 5 years old and she lays almost everyday. I am not sure about how tough they would be. I know a freerange bird has more muscle so it can be tough.

3. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    They can still be processed to eat just bake or stew , simmer til tender and throw in some dumplings yum, i woulden't try fryed. I don't think they can get to old to eat if you want to. The hens that have the palest legs are laying .

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  4. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    The hen with the palest legs are laying? I didn't know that, today when I check for eggs I will look. [​IMG]

5. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:That's interesting...see you learn something new everyday! Thanks

6. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Does that count for my black ausralorpes too? I am going to go check now. So if they are yellow they will be a pale yellow, and if they are dark they will be light gray?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by