1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

**another chicken in the house(update last post)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annie3001, Jan 31, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    i have another chicken in the house.
    [​IMG]

1) What type of bird , age and weight. 2 year old plymouth rock. weight unknown
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. walking side ways. not herself
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? about a day
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. very hard molt. loosing feathers badly
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. unknown if she is drinking water. i have seen her eat
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. unknown
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? brought her in the house. placed her in a cage. she clucked loudly and paced for about 15 minutes. quiet now.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? cant afford vet
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. i see no wound
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    big coop. heat lamp inside. i am home all the time, i check on the chickens all the time. a hundred times a day.

i fear she maybe very cold. possibly her side of the body that has loss of feathers.
    shes pacing like crazy inside the cage. she has spilt the water, so when she calms down, i will put water in their again. shes one of my favorite first chickens. wish me luck please and pray for her speedy recovery. :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    Keep her inside in a warm area to give her a break from the cold, give her some electrolyte solution from the feed store in her water, this will give her some strenght. You can give her some chicken vitamins in her food, say on a favorite treat to ensure that she eats. The molt can wear them out, then add the cold weather, I bet she is weak. Also have had a hen suddenly unable to walk/stand around this age, she had a vitamin deficiency, added vit. B12 and vit. E to her food and she was better in a week, took two weeks before she could walk around on her own. Good luck with her

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    she pooped in the cage. poop looks normal. i saw her eating some bread. i gave her some lasanga and she gobbled it up. shes quiet now, probably getting warmed up. i am happy now, that i brought her in. her bum is so bare. poor gal. thanks for the feedback. i have some chicken medicine, here at home, ill check to see what i have. thanks again.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Are you sure it's molt? Looks to me like your rooster has been tearing her up.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    what about all her feathers tho? the rooster go's after all the girls. i have seen him with her, but not lately.

what about her walking side ways and like shes drunk? i think she was very cold. i forgot to say she was shaking a bit in the coop.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I had one of my Barred Rock hens in hard molt this time last January and she was almost bare naked top to bottom...didnt look anything like the one in your pic. Since she's eating normal, very active in the cage, poop looks normal...IMO, rooster is mating too much with her, or lice/mites (which I doubt she has) but you can check anyway, or perhaps the start of a molt. Molt normally starts at the neck working down.

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    the picture isn the best. shes got feathers missing from around her neck area too. shes been doing this molt for about a week. but what concerns me is her balance. i dont see any signs of lice/mites. shes alert in the cage. but like i said, her balance has me scared.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    The loss of balance is most likely molt related. I have seen this a lot. Keep her comfortable, not cold, with great nutrition. Do all you can to encourage good eating. In time she should be fine. Molts can be extremely difficult on their systems but with a helping hand they can make it through.
    JJ

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    how long do you think i should keep her in the house? i have other chickens that have gone thru the molt, but never at this time. winter that is. when should she start getting some feathers back?

10. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Annie3001

I have a BR that went through the same thing. They can get very chilled when molting, mine was shivering in the run and walking funny. I brought her in to warm her up and the first day she ate almost nothing but a few meal worms. She was hunched over and fluffed
    up.

The second day she started to eat more and was more vocal calling to me when I left the room - which I thing was kinda cute - like a hen calling chicks.

Each night i would put her back with her flock mates to sleep and bring her back in the morning.

I did that three days in a row and she appears fine now except for exhibiting watery poop.

Ensure that she has sufficient protein as a lot is required to re-grow feathers. I put mine on Gamebird/Showbird food which is 24% protein.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by