Another chicken missing! AAARRRGGGHHH

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LegginMF12, Aug 20, 2011.

1. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Not sure what is getting them, but this is the second one that is missing. Of course it is my little hen who is blind in one eye. She was my favorite. The first one was a rooster so I wasn't really upset as I ended up with more roosters than hens. I have five acres and have walked every inch of it. I don't see any piles of feathers or her body. Makes me think it is a hawk or maybe an owl at dusk. Though I was thinking my boys and girls are getting to big to be picked off by a hawk. They are BO and are now 20 weeks old.

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    So your chickens free rang? Are they inside a fence or anything? If not then a coyote, fox, or anything like that could have careered the birds off.

3. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    [​IMG] sorry about your hen. I hope you find out who dunnit.

4. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I have 5 acres fully fenced in 6ft chain link. I don't think it's coyotes because i have a 105lb Pitbull who absolutely hates coyotes. He was attacked by a group and all they have to do is howl and he's lookin for them

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] Sorry for the loss of your hen.

6. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Sorry about your hen. [​IMG] We recently lost one too, and of course, it was my favorite. How the predators always grab the best one I'll never know..

7. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:x2

8. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    So sorry about your hen. [​IMG] You may want to walk the perimeter of your property to see if something has dug under the fence to get in. Also, foxes are notoriously crafty and have the ability to jump and climb. Hope you catch whatever it is very soon.

9. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Sorry about your hen. We recently lost one too, and of course, it was my favorite. How the predators always grab the best one I'll never know..

x3
    I lost my rooster last week, I'm still all upset about it... the quiet around here without his crowing is deafening. [​IMG]

10. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    Awww...so sorry for your loss. I hop, I hope that maybe she is a good hider, after all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by