Another Chicken Problem =/ =/

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by salt and pepper, Oct 8, 2013.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I have another chicken problem, which isn't that uncommon thanks to my neighbor... aannyyyywwayyyy. The problem is that my chickens ( all 13 of them ) have stopped laying!!! I don't know why =/ I know that have coryza, but it's not that bad, and I will treat it as soon as I can. I thought they had Cocci, treated with sulmet, didn't do anything. Haven't seen ANY worms in their droppings, none of the hens are egg bound either. I clean their coops 2x a week, give them fresh water daily, and feed them fermented feed, as well as oyster shells. What's wrong with them??? Only three are molting, the rest aren't old enough. They are all acting fine, and eating well. The daily poops are funny looking, but the ones under the roosts are perfectly fine.... Can someone help me???

2. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    In my opinion.....it is the time of year in regards to hours in a day. With mine....two pens of different breeds have stopped......and my other mixed girls have slowed down. Also I have some molting which means no eggs. I had a pullet laying an egg every day for 2 weeks......and she stopped the same time my other 2 pens did.

I figure I will leave the girls for a bit and then start adding a timed light program to get them back up and running.

If all of yours stopped with in the same time frame.....it will be the daylight hours decreasing.....the girls are solar powered......lol.

3. salt and pepper

Ok, thanks =)

4. salt and pepper

Have another problem.... One of my hens was acting a little off, So I watched her, and she layed a SECOND egg for the day except it was shell-less, like rubber. I picked her up, and her abdomen was dirty, and there was some clear discharge coming out ( not much ) immediately after this, she went up and started eating. Her abdomen still feels kinda " squishy " but she's acting fine now. should I be worried?

5. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I would think she will be fine....if she is acting normal.....and eating....it would appear okay. Just keep an eye on her.

6. salt and pepper

thank you =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by