another chicken snake yesterday, 8 so far this year

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dufus, Sep 29, 2011.

1. dufus

dufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    put the girls in at dusk, and as usual i scoped the whole hen house out with a flashlight. looked in one of the egg boxes, and there he was, with 2 big lumps in him. we had our usual conference, between myself, the snake, and a ruger ''bearcat'' with shotshells in it. after the discussion, and the smoke cleared somewhat, he decided to sleep peacefully in the grass beside the creek, and will not come back. along with the others. i've had it with snakes this year, after 2 of my yard hatched peeps being eaten a few months ago. i have 4 -3 month old peeps left now, and probably they are too big for a chicken snake to eat. those darn snakes have give me the blues this year, for sure.

2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    In my area I have a choice. I can have a few harmless snakes or I can have mice and huge rats. I'll take the snakes any day...lol. I watched my grandfather deal with rats for about half of my childhood and I can tell you this. Once they take hold onto your place, they are almost impossible to get rid of without the help of a few snakes. Rats can and will kill your full grown birds. I guess it's just what we get used to. I have my coops/runs where anything larger than(1/2"hardware cloth)can't get in. Good Luck!

3. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Good job and I hope you don't lose anymore peeps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by