1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

another chicken with the sits and sh---

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dee Dee 2, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I have posted about a buff that just sat and did not eat or drink. Have her in the house and doing 'hospital' care. When I went to the chicken pen just now I noticed I had ANOTHER chicken doing the same thing. (Dark green poo) Someone mentioned coccocidia (?sp.). I have been giving the buff Duramycin - 10 . Is there something better for coccocidia. These younger chicks ( 6 months old) have primarly been on medicated feed but they do go into the older hens pens and eat which is not medicated feed. Any assistance is appreciated. THANKS !

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you suspect coccidiosis you need to treat with Corid. Antibiotic's will do nothing if that is what this is. It can be found at Tractor Supply or most any feed store in the cattle dept., it is labeled for calves. SInce these are young birds with access to the older birds pen I'd certainly treat for it and see if they improve.

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California

Treat them with Corid for coccidiosis. For 20% powder:

Corid Dosage:
    all chicks should be treated there is 9 species of this disease and ONLY 2 that have blood in the stool. Critical time is when chicks are between 4-16wks. of age.
    chicks need to be treated when they are 3-4wks of age. CORID POWDER....1.5TSP. PER GALLON FOR 5 DAYS and then another 5 days at 1/2 tps per gallon.
    and to repeat it every 3wks if they have symptoms until they reach 9mos. of age.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  4. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    Thanks so much for your post and info. I'm off to T.S. shortly. Will treat the whole flock. I'm not sure that cocoidios is the problem but since you said ONLY 2 of the strains show signs of blood in the droppings I am going to do the medication you suggested. Thank you !

5. cuckooformarans

cuckooformarans Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    I also recommend Corid. I have chickens behaving the same way and suspect coccidiosis. Although, I have been treating for over 5 days with little improvement showing.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Do they *look* sick? (ruffled up listless) How skinny are they? Any new chickens lately?

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    cuckooformarans, can you switch to sulfadimethoxine? It also has some antibacterial in it.

8. cuckooformarans

cuckooformarans Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    Our sick chicken is still alive! It has gained alot of weight and strength. The wierd thing is it still cant stand and walk well. It must be able to get around because it can get to the food and water. I find it so odd that after being this long it isnt either dead or better.
    We stopped the corrid a while ago when the treatment time was over and have had the bird on electrolytes, vitamins, and probiotics since.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by