Another Cluckin Question ;)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JazminesZoo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. JazminesZoo

JazminesZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2011
    I am wanting a few pure varietes ~ Criteria: Friendly, size doesn't matter, egg production not that important, egg nutrition & large yolks a must. LUV the darkest yolks possible. Not flighty. (I do luv Jumbo eggs)

Thank you for your time!

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    The calmest chickens I have are light sussex from a breeder, not hatchery. Yolk color and nutrition is diet dependent (the hen's diet, that is).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. JazminesZoo

Sep 28, 2011
    So yolk color is in the nutrition? So what do you feed in nutrition to produce them? Any breeds I should steer clear from?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  4. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    The more free ranging, veg scraps, etc. the better. Straight layer feed gets you grocery store yolks.

My EEs are the flightiest I have by far, but others say their EEs are super friendly. I think some of it depends on how you raise them. I don't really pet or hold my chickens, I am more of a sit and watch type.

If you go to mypetchicken.com, they have a breed selector where you can select for not being flighty and it will show you the breeds that are considered not flighty.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Foods high in beta carotene are what give you the orange yolks - spinach, chard, kale, clover, parsley, cantaloupe, etc.

Barred rocks are great birds and lay jumbo sized eggs - and LOTS of them. My EE is super friendly (she will fly up onto my arm for treats) but I have a couple pure Ameraucana's that are flighty as heck. Barnevelders lay a really nice sized egg, are really calm and friendly, but they are prone to broodiness. (not sure if you want that or not)

6. JazminesZoo

Sep 28, 2011
    Thanks soo much for your feedback! I will definately look at the link you provided [​IMG]

7. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Out of our flock our least flighty is probably our Silver Laced Wyandotte, not to mention the best looking. She hasn't started laying yet but should any day. They are supposed to be decent layers of large eggs. Our most friendly bird is probably our Blue Andalusian, but I think that is entirely based on the fact that I took her out quite often and she is used to being held because of that. She's always been our favorite.

People have already provided great answers for your yolk/nutrition discussion. This is pretty much entirely based on their diet rather than breed(from what i have read).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by