1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ANOTHER cocci questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by k625, Oct 14, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I have read all of the posts on this, but still thought I needed some more answers. I just recieved my new chickens on thursday that our about 3 months old. I noticed some blood in thier poop and thought it my be stress, so I gave it a few days. I am still noticing blood in their poop today. They were on medicated feed when they were younger. They are also in with my 9 week old silkies, so now im afraid they will get it to. NO way to seperate chickens. I am assuming this is coccida. How and I treat? Or what do you guys think.? Let me know anything, I dont want to lose these guys!

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ...get a faecal to differentiate if it is from cocci or from worms (cappillaria will often cause this)...

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Amprol and Sulmet are common cocci meds. You can get at least one of them at most farm stores.

Jody

4. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If you want to stay natural give them powdered milk half and half with their feed. Just mix it in and that will work for cocci. It could be worms but at that age it's more likely cocci, unless they have had lots of exposure to wild birds.

5. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    adoptedbyachicken...that will really work?? Just powered milk50/50 with thir feed? That would be awesome!! Would I still be able to put meds in the water just as an added thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by