Another constipation thread--4 days of constipation despite remedies tried.

MenelausMontrose

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
NC
Hello all,
I've got a 2-week old baby bantam Rhode Island Red female who's having persistent issues with constipation. This has been going on for about 4 days, and she is now smaller than her 4 growing sisters, none of whom have or have had any issues whatsoever. I also have 6 bantam Dominques who are doing fine.

Please see photos for pictures of her, her butt, her poop, her home, and her siblings.

She is pooping, but her poops are small and infrequent. She is usually hunched as if she wants to poop, and her vent is usually pulsing. She breathes heavy. Sometimes after I am able to get a bowel movement, she perks up for a while, but the constipation always returns, or perhaps just never clears up.

I have read read several threads here on chick constipation. Here are the details on what I have tried, and what my setup is.

1. We feed her chilled coconut oil chips regularly. She doesn't love them, but we offer them to her before we put wet food in the feeder for everyone. She usually only takes a few small bites. Minimum 3 pecks, sometimes as many as 10. This was only done 1-2 times per day in the beginning, but now we are trying to get the oil chips in her around 3-4 times per day.

2. I have been soaking her butt in epsom salt baths for 10-15 minutes a day when the coconut oil doesn't seem to be working. This has been on at least 3 of the last 4 days. This often induces a large bowel movement, but it did not do so today.

3. Yesterday I started gently applying olive oil to her vent with a q-tip. I do not insert the q-tip, and am instead gently applying as much as I can get on the head of the q-tip to the vent opening and any visible excrement. This seemed to produce a successful poop today.

As far as my setup goes:
1. There is dry food available 24/7, but we've been doing wet food 3-4 times per day to help with constipation, as the Dominiques had issues when they first arrived. Interestingly the baby in question did not have issues at all until recently, and the Dominiques are all doing great now. The food is MannaPro Medicated Chick Starter/Grower Crumbles. The only treats we give are boiled egg yolks, and yesterday, a dirt clod. The yolks are infrequent--no more than 1 yolk for all 11 chickens, and we haven't given them yolk for the last two days. We do not have chick grit in the brooder, but I assume the dirt clod may have provided some.

2. The brooder measures 5 square feet. This is small, but the bantams don't require as much room to the best of my knowledge. There are no pecking or bullying issues that we have observed.

3. The temperature for the last 3 days has been about 96 degrees Fahrenheit. I was keeping it at 105, but dropped it in hopes of helping this issue. The chickens have a hot zone and a cool zone, and happily move between them with no indication of temperature issues.

4. I have two quail/small bird waterers available for them. They frequently fling litter into the waterers, but we clean them regularly and there is always water available in at least 1.

5. The bedding is hemp, which I love--very little dust or odor, and it's super absorbent. No issues with them eating it as far as I can tell.

If you've made it through the wall of text, I have a couple of questions. Is there any way to force feed coconut oil? Is there anything else I can be doing for this chicken? 2 baths a day maybe? Are there any other anti-constipation remedies I can try.
?

Attachments

• 20230606_230846.jpg
    20230606_230846.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 858
  • 20230606_232815.jpg
    20230606_232815.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230606_231836.jpg
    20230606_231836.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230606_231341.jpg
    20230606_231341.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230606_231036.jpg
    20230606_231036.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230606_231055.jpg
    20230606_231055.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230606_230823.jpg
    20230606_230823.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

There is a couple things I would try if she were mine. First, use probiotics in the water. Human stuff is fine, open 1 capsule and pour into a quart waterer and fill with water. Make a new batch daily. Probiotics really help their tender digestive tracts and build a healthy immune system. I use them daily on chicks until they are 6 weeks of age.

Next, get some plain Dolculax, no stimulants, just the stool softener, 100mg Docusate Sodium should be the only ingredient. Prick open one end and squeeze a couple of drops into her mouth TWICE a day until things get moving. It's not toxic and you can't over dose so it doesn't have to be exact. Now dip her beak into the water quick like. Repeat this a couple times, hopefully this stimulates her to drink more.

Lastly, I'd hard boil an egg and give her a tiny bit of it every few hours. Eggs have all the building blocks of life, are soft and moist and can replace or be an addition to her chick starter until she gets things moving. Don't leave any egg laying around the brooder under warm lights as it will spoil fast.

I believe you may have a failure-to-thrive chick. These chicks often have immature organs, and their digestive systems can be less than efficient. They are prone to pasty butt and constipation.

Do everything @TwoCrows suggested. In addition to that, put a teaspoon of molasses into one cup of her water. This serves two purposes. One is to elevate her glucose and give her metabolism a helping hand and the other is to gently stimulate her intestines to move food through. Do this for a couple of days.

The other chicks can drink this, too, but expect runnier poop for the time being.

Thank you @TwoCrows and @azygous; I really appreciate the advice. We are reintroducing probiotics into the water; I have some Sav-A-Chick brand powder on-hand. I've put out some hardboiled egg and molasses water for her, and I have her in a mini-brooder on my desk now.

We'll be picking up Dolculax today. Is there some basic way of making the chick drink the Dolculax drops? I am new to chickens and haven't reared an animal in a long time. This chick will eat food off my fingers but the only way I know to make her drink something is dipping her beak.

We've had a couple of poops this morning, and she is now able to rest lying down, which seems like a good sign. She's also more lively.

Thank you @TwoCrows and @azygous; I really appreciate the advice. We are reintroducing probiotics into the water; I have some Sav-A-Chick brand powder on-hand. I've put out some hardboiled egg and molasses water for her, and I have her in a mini-brooder on my desk now.

We'll be picking up Dolculax today. Is there some basic way of making the chick drink the Dolculax drops? I am new to chickens and haven't reared an animal in a long time. This chick will eat food off my fingers but the only way I know to make her drink something is dipping her beak.

We've had a couple of poops this morning, and she is now able to rest lying down, which seems like a good sign. She's also more lively.
Glad she's a bit better! Do you have someone to help you? One can hold her and pry open her beak and you can squeeze it in. You can also squeeze it on to your finger and scrape it in at the side of her beak. Even an eyedropper can be used. IF you know she will eat a piece of hard boiled egg, you can squeeze the stuff onto it so she eats it herself. What ever it takes to get it into her mouth. You should only need to do this for a day or two. Make sure she is drinking and dip her beak in the water often until things start moving well.

@SmiYa0126 , Pretty good! I'll attach some photos. We got one dose of the Dulcolax in her yesterday afternoon, applying it to my finger and scraping it along the side of her beak (thank you, @TwoCrows !).

I also switched the brooder heat bulb from an incandescent red bulb to a lightless ceramic heater bulb. My hope was that a normal night cycle would allow her to digest things better and prevent loading up on the dry crumbles while we were asleep. They are usually fairly inactive under the red light, but I think they were quieter with the ceramic heater.

This morning, her vent was pretty crusty looking, enough I thought a bath might be needed at some point to unstop her. I tried a swab of olive oil first, and that was enough to get things going, fortunately. We also gave her another dose of Dulcolax; my wife has learned how to get the beak open for me.

We kept her on our desks for about half the day, occasionally bringing in a Dominique for companionship for her. She remained fairly lively and ate primarily egg yolk. We noted she was lying down, scratching, and running around vigorously. She did get some regular chick crumbles when she was returned to the main brooder. We dipped her beak several times. The afternoon bowel movement that we noticed was both large and very smelly.

We got a second dose of Dulcolax in her, and have been feeding more egg yolk. She still runs and gets some of the wet crumbles when we feed the other chickens. We have one waterer with probiotic water, and one with probiotic and molasses in the main brooder. When we isolate her, she only has the probiotic/molasses waterer.

As of right now, I would say things are looking up, but I will continue with the Dulcolax and molasses. I appreciate the naturalness of coconut oil, but the Dulcolax is making chicken care a lot easier.

Attachments

• 20230608_081346.jpg
    20230608_081346.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230608_085756.jpg
    20230608_085756.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230608_142506.jpg
    20230608_142506.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 12
@SmiYa0126 , Pretty good! I'll attach some photos. We got one dose of the Dulcolax in her yesterday afternoon, applying it to my finger and scraping it along the side of her beak (thank you, @TwoCrows !).

I also switched the brooder heat bulb from an incandescent red bulb to a lightless ceramic heater bulb. My hope was that a normal night cycle would allow her to digest things better and prevent loading up on the dry crumbles while we were asleep. They are usually fairly inactive under the red light, but I think they were quieter with the ceramic heater.

This morning, her vent was pretty crusty looking, enough I thought a bath might be needed at some point to unstop her. I tried a swab of olive oil first, and that was enough to get things going, fortunately. We also gave her another dose of Dulcolax; my wife has learned how to get the beak open for me.

We kept her on our desks for about half the day, occasionally bringing in a Dominique for companionship for her. She remained fairly lively and ate primarily egg yolk. We noted she was lying down, scratching, and running around vigorously. She did get some regular chick crumbles when she was returned to the main brooder. We dipped her beak several times. The afternoon bowel movement that we noticed was both large and very smelly.

We got a second dose of Dulcolax in her, and have been feeding more egg yolk. She still runs and gets some of the wet crumbles when we feed the other chickens. We have one waterer with probiotic water, and one with probiotic and molasses in the main brooder. When we isolate her, she only has the probiotic/molasses waterer.

As of right now, I would say things are looking up, but I will continue with the Dulcolax and molasses. I appreciate the naturalness of coconut oil, but the Dulcolax is making chicken care a lot easier.
Aww...she's a sweetheart! ❤ You are doing a great job! Keep up with all you are doing, once digestive tracts get irritated, it takes a while to get them sorted out. Hopefully in a few days she is really turning the corner to perfect health. Thanks for the update, keep us posted on her. Give her some lovin' for me! 💖

Back
Top Bottom