Another Coop Idea

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Spicy, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Spicy

Spicy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is the style of co-op I think I settled on. Still changing things around and so forth. Wont finished till spring due to surgery, kid, and life in general. But the concept of it seems decent and easier to make people think it's a play house instead of what it's going to be.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That looks like it's 4'x4' which will not house more than 3 or 4 comfortably in a temperate climate, fewer if you get any amount of snow. If you don't get snow then you will want at least a couple of walls to open to hardware cloth sides. It is very difficult to ventilate a small coop well in a cold climate without creating drafts.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops/0_20

3. Spicy

Spicy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Im actually only going to start with 4 chickens. And yes we get snow. I'm going to add windows for the summer and vents for the winter. I can't go too big since I'm hiding it.

4. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    So your in a "no chickens allowed" area....I understand the "low profile" design of it!

5. Spicy

Spicy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013

I sure am. Wish I wasn't. So it has to look like a play house off in the woods. Painting the fencing cloth black to hide it more. And the "play house" will be brown and green. I made the walls 4ft instead of three to give more height.

6. Northern nurse

Northern nurse Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2014
    Pretty hard to keep chickens a "secret". Once they are grown, even the hens can be pretty noisy at times. Good luck with that, hopefully your neighbors aren't the run and tattle kind and may be more accepting with a few fresh eggs from time to time.

7. Spicy

Spicy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    One neighbor had ducks, the neighbor right next to me has no problem and even knows people that have chickens. The neighbor behind me there is about an acre separating us. I will be using my neighbors woods to hide them and there's an acre to two between us, who gave me permission. We had one chicken that lived in the woods haven't seen her for a bit, and no complainted or tattle tellers, and no one could hear her. So we'll see how it goes. And if anything, maybe a few eggs will shut them up, lol.

8. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    I too am in the "no chickens zone"...lol. So mine is also 4 feet tall at the front and 3 feet tall at the back. I do have approval from my immediate neighbors.....so if the hens can keep it to a dull roar I might just be alright. Hoping anyway!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by