Another coop placement question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickadee93, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    There are two possible areas I will have the coop in, one is on the hill which has many tall grasses, bushes, and weeds with lots of grasshoppers, but the hill is pretty steep.

The other location is on the woodline where there are lots of bushes but not a lot of grass, however I can't see the coop from the house if I put it here.

What would you do?

2. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    I like to see my chickens from my kitchen window, so I like close by.
    However, Steep makes me wonder if erosion will occur around the bottom of the run and predators will be able to get in under areas that wash away.
    How about some pictures of the two locations?

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    By preference I'd put it in the nonwooded visible area, and do whatever engineering was necessary to make the steep hill useable (will probably include terracing and low retaining walls - LEARN HOW TO PROPERLY BUILD retaining walls if you do this, they must have internal drainage and be tied back into the hillside, and not too high).

But if budget is really limiting it will *probably* (depending on the exact site) be easier to construct a budget-y yet reasonably predatorproof coop in the flat wooded area than on a steep hillside.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    If I put the coop on the hill I'd see them from the kitchen too! [​IMG]

I don't have pictures right now (everything is covered in 4inches of snow [​IMG] But I'll try [​IMG])

5. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Double post >[​IMG]

Sorry

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by