Another Coop/Run Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mrsgibber, Jan 15, 2009.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Ok, still working out all the details for our girls soon to be new home. My husband and I were debating whether to cover or not to cover the run. I feel like if we cover it we'll have to make it shorter so I won't be able to get in there comfortably. I say leave it uncovered and keep it a good 6 ft tall. He is more worried of running the risk that a fox or racoon or hawk will get into the run during the day and kill one of the hens. Of course, my neighbor down the street doesn't even fence his in. The just free range all over his open fields. I would think if those guys have been safe enough mine in my back yard would be too. Any thoughts?

2. MrsShag

MrsShag Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Our coop is 6 ft high and covered with fencing. I think it depends on where you live. We are out there and have lots of hawks and eagles and lots and lots of other predators so I didn't feel safe leaving the top wide open.

3. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    I too would say it depends where you live. I'm in Michigan, and I know I am very happy that we decided to cover our run. Not so much for predators, but because on rainy or snowy days, our girls are still happy to go out in the run since they are more or less out of the elements.

4. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    THanks. I think the hubby wins out here. I was just reading my book and it mentioned it would be good to keep the wild birds out that may carry disease or eat the feed, etc.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I forget, do you live somewhere that gets snow. If you do, you need to factor in the weight of your heaviest snowstorm plus however much rain you might get on top of it, when designing a top for the run. If you go back in this forum's archives to, what, mid December?? 2008, you will see all sorts of peoples' wire-topped runs getting flattened.

Just something to take into account,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by