Another craigslist ethics question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TwistedSerpent, Jul 9, 2010.

1. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    When you post something for free up on craigslist is it too much to ask for the party interested to be the one to drive/haul/disassemble what they are interested in?

I'm not making any money off of it, it would be easier to just throw it away, and I am not about to go out of my way to deliver things especially when I have a lot of work already to do.

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Why not put...free, you haul....

Even when I am selling stuff I usual have the buyer pick it up, no deliveries!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:x2...

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Songster

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    It is ABSOLUTELY appropriate for the taker to do any reasonable disassembly that doesn't outweigh benefit to them, and to pick up themselves!!!

This comes from one who has done a lot of pick-ups and salvage work to obtain things free.

"Come and get it!" is the applicable mantra for freebies. Although, if it's easy for you to deliver & you feel so inclined, you can, of course.

In getting something free myself, though, I would not expect delivery to me ever unless I couldn't pick up & giver chose to deliver because they had to take it someplace regardless in order to get rid of the item.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  5. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

Any buyer will presume that you won't deliver it unless you say you will in the ad. I can't imagine someone's thinking otherwise, but if you tell someone that you will deliver it, don't give it to a later caller who will pick it up; that would be unethical.

6. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    I didnt state either way for this ad, just thought it was a presumed thing its free you want it come get it.

7. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    I offered to bring it from our new place out of town to where we are in town if they didnt want to drive that far, they still insist on it being delivered to them because its inconvienient for them to pick it up.

8. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:Tell them forget it, and find another taker.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    I had a guy deliver a free door to me one time,because I had to wait a few days for dh's truck.I was grateful he would do that,but knew it was not something to be expected.
    I am selling off toys right now and put cash/pick up in every post.Even if it is just a $1 item I need people to pick them up.I can't lock up all the pets,pile the kids in the car,and deliver an item.

Now if I really wanted something and could not get it I would offer extra money to the poster for them to bring it to me.I have never had anyone take me up on it,but figured I would try in a few cases like with sheds and stuff.Hopefully I don't offend anyone with my offers.I REALY miss having a truck.

If anyone is being a PITA I would just move on to another person that wanted it,or I would put it to the trash and let a drive by picker get it.

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I had someone want me to deliver a duck I was giving away. I told them, sorry, and went to the next person in line who was more than happy to come and pick him up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by