1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another curled toes post...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frosty, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Realistically, what is the time frame where curled toes can be possibly fixed? I think as soon as they come out of the hatcher would be ideal, but I didn't hatch this little one. It apparently hatched in the morning on the 28th and I picked the babies up at the PO around 11:30 PM on the 29th. There was one DOA and this little one (smaller than the rest) with it's toes curled under. I taped them for now, though it seems a bit weak and I'm not sure it's going to make it. I really wish I could isolate and bring it up here (they are in the basement) but there isn't really anywhere to keep it where it would be safe from the cats. So if it gets the strength to survive, do you think the toes will straighten or is it too late?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Strictly from reading here, you should know after a day or two of treatment whether it will work. You're right that it should be as early as possible, but I would think a few days old is not too late, their bones should not have gotten set and hard that fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by