Another dairy goat question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dacasodivine, May 23, 2008.

1. dacasodivine

dacasodivine Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2008
    Does anyone have Boer/Nubian or Boer crossed with some dairy breed for milk? How do they production wise compared to pure breed dairy goat?

I have found someone that has boer/nubian kids for sale but is selling them as 'meat' goats. I thought I remember reading on here or another site of someone that had a boer cross milk doe.

I would post on the other site but signed up and have been waiting over a week for approval. So, here I am!

Thanks again!

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    That cross is used exclusively for meat production AFAIK. The Boer is used as the terminal sire on the larger framed Nubian, giving you a big meaty animal.

For as meaty as Boer's are, they are slow growers (like any purebreed is). It takes them around 2 years to get to the same weight my lambs would be in 8 months. So, the cross is used to take advantage of heterosis and get more economical meat goats.

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I recently, (yesterday) bought some nubians. they are considered dual purpose breeds (milk and meat). Boers are considered meat goats. So I would consider them meat goats, but they might milk out ok.

hopefully someone else will chime in with more info.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have a boer/nubian cross boy. He is gorgeous. I plan to cross him with my one of my nubian/saanan dairy goats. Around here people often cross a meat goat with a dairy goat to have the option of using the kids for meat and having the milking mother to supply the family milk. It does work.

5. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    After I have all the does I need (Nubians), I'll be using a Boer and selling the offspring for meat. Of course I had 4 bucklings this year and no does, so it'll be at least two more years now. [​IMG]

"Dual Purpose" in goats, though, is kinda a dubious term. A Nubian is not a meaty animal. It's like a Holstein, it's tall and has a large frame, so you get a lot of meat. But each cut individually will be small relative to a lamb.

Every cut on a Boer goat, even, is small relative to a lamb.

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    If you train them right they will be great milkers but just wont make as much as the milking breed, unless they tend to go towards the nubian breed. I dont know why they wouldnt make good milkers...its a 1/2 and 1/2 so why not and if the price is right go for it. I would.

7. dacasodivine

Feb 19, 2008
    He says he has one boer/nubian and one pure unregistered nubian for $80 each! Is this a good price for 4 or 5 month old does?

8. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Yeah. I charge around $200 for does. Just be aware that by 4-5 months, and she hasn't been sold, it may be telling your something. [​IMG]

9. dacasodivine

Feb 19, 2008
    His post on craigslist is that he has 30 baby goats for sell, mostly boer. I'm thinking he's maybe a trader. That's why I asked for pictures, so I can post so people who know can tell me if they really are nubians or crosses. Hopefully he will actually send me pictures. He's an hour away and that's a long drive with today's gas prices just to look at them.

10. kritter11

kritter11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Marion, IN
    I'm milking 8 does right now, 3 of the 8 are boer crosses and one of the highest producers is a Boer x Kiko...neither breed is a 'milk' goat.
    One of the lowest producers is a fancy-pedigreed Nub I paid big bucks for from 'great milking lines'...
    Can't judge a goat by it's pedigree (or lack thereof)...they can't read them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by