Another devastating blow for L&S Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by L&Schickens, Jan 20, 2009.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Well, I had planned on selling hatching eggs from my champion dark egg laying Welsummers this spring, but this morning my wonderful rooster, Wellington was killed by a raccoon. [​IMG] I even saw the stinking beast leaving the scene this morning as my little 11 pound dog chased after him. In the darkness with my flashlight I could see the humped up back and the bushy low set tail of the nasty predator. I called my little dog back, but she kept after the fiend. Lucky for Pucca, the coon was not in a fighting mood, or my little dog could have been next on the raccoon’s kill list.
    When dawn finally broke, I went out to check on the birds and found only pieces of Wellington left, including his head. I am sooooo mad about this. L&S Chickens has suffered another set back. I want to throw in the towel and sell off all my chickens. The only thing keeping me from doing that is my son, who wants our little business to work. [​IMG]

On the lighter side, one out of 12 of my Kentucky Specks chicks hatched last night. I was thrilled to get one, but more would have been better. Well, come to find out my last egg marked “KS” held a little silkie chick, and not a Kentucky Speck. So, I am interested to find out what the man I got the eggs from has to say about that. [​IMG]

Thanks for listening.
    Pictures to follow of the "Silkie Speck"

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I'm sorry you lost your Wellington. [​IMG] More babies should help. [​IMG]

3. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry for your loss. But don't give up...Every adventure/business will have it's down falls.
    Even our farm/business has had a few delays along the way.
    It will eventually be better....
    Were you able to see where the coon was able to get into the coop?? I would fix that right away, if so....
    Knock on wood we haven't lost any animals to predators YET. Ours has been the nasty icy weather we have been having, and general reasons (age).
    Best of luck and don't give up...

4. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    RIP Wellington. You will be deeply missed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OOPPPSS!! Silkie chick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    that is too bad about Wellington! hope your heart feels lighter tomorrow.

congrats on the babies!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Can you set any fertile eggs from him to hatch one of his sons?

7. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    ^^That is what I am going to do. I hope to collect eggs from the girls over the next few days and set them as soon as I can. Right now I have 42 eggs in the incubator, so there is no room. Most should hatch by the 26th, I hope. Then I will have some room.

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    L&Schickens :

^^That is what I am going to do. I hope to collect eggs from the girls over the next few days and set them as soon as I can. Right now I have 42 eggs in the incubator, so there is no room. Most should hatch by the 26th, I hope. Then I will have some room.

I really hope you get a good boy from a hatch!​

9. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    I am so sorry that is very sad and thinking about your family and that dear sweet picture of your son is making the 'ol tears flow. A set back indeed, but you did it once and can do it again.
    I think we shape how much of the people our children become by our own actions, and hard as it is it is a far better lesson to teach them not to give up. Life is always going to have its ups and downs and chickens ug...seems like more than always. Maybe that is the challenge.
    Nobody says you have to jump back on the horse right away(unless you need to start hatching now for showing) but the values of doing you best and sticking to something your children can learn from the chicken experience are something that will stay with them their whole lives. I think that lil Silkie is a blessing and a great distraction. Nothing kids like better that Silkies!!!
    be well, have faith, and your BYC friends look forward to a better year for you, it has been a lot to bear!!

10. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    On a happier note. This was my adventure in caged chickens. Turkens! They were happy. I gave them grass and bugs. Even a nonpoisonous snake! They were given to me from my hermit Uncle! I sold them at a local animal swap meet. I never seen chickens go so fast.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by