Another dog attack. Dead chickies.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    My stupid dog got out and she ate one of my rosecombs, Smoky. She ate both of my new silkies from the swapmeet and my black frizzle cochin. I also had a rooster fight the day before and lost my precious General Lee(gold laced cochin) and Red. And my marans is missing. I am way over stressed. My other two dogs love the chickens so I dont know why Honey Bunny wants to kill them all. The cats even hang out with the chickens. I have to auction some roos cause I cant take any chances of another rooster fight. I dont know what to do about the dog. I have been keeping her on a chain but she snuck out. I am so depressed. The General was so beautiful and I was looking forward to breeding him with everyone and making pretty and sweet babies. At least he died protecting the weaker ones. Him and Red were protecting Bobo, Smoky,Bandit,Craig and Dae Dae. Poor Smoky was killed in the dog attack yesterday. I don't know how Bobo hasnt had a heart attack.

2. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Gosh I am so sorry. I have to keep my dog out of the area where chickens and ducks are. He makes it clear that he thinks they look yummy by pulling on the leash and licking his mouth when he sees them. So I don't allow them anywhere near each other anymore. He was very bad once and I said NO MORE!

Seems like the roosters are like stallions. They live their lives locked up in a box away from everybody untill they are used to do the task. They are too uncivilized to be loose with the public. I met a man like that in the post office this morning in fact. I guess you will have to put each rooster in its own separate cage since they are acting like fools.

Good luck dear. We deal with a lot don't we ?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I know right. I am loosing so much weight and getting in such good shape building all this stuff by myself. I dont know what the rooster problem is. They all were asleep snuggled together the night before

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Holy cow! You've really been through it. I am so sorry. [​IMG] If dear sweet Honey Bunny was my dog, she would have to go. I don't put up with animals that are cruel and kill the other animals. I have a no tolerance policy here!

Again, so sorry for all of your losses. [​IMG]

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    She 's a fluffy white foofoo dog. A lhasa apso. She hardly looks like a killing machine...but she is

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Geez sorry Vamp! :aww Hope things start going better for you. Hang in there girl. We are here for ya! [​IMG]

7. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Wow, I am so sorry about that. I think I would have to rehome the dog to maybe family or friends. Just telling them that it was a great dog except for the chicken killer thing.

8. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Sorry about you losing all of them [​IMG]

I have lost 4 roosters and 1 hen from dog attaks.

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Vamp, your life sounds so chaotic. Of course it's exhausting. Maybe you could look for some ways to simplify, and do a few things well, instead of multiple things that get out of hand. It wore me out just reading all the things that have gone wrong for you. Hope things improve soon.

10. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    :aww [​IMG] Hugs are coming your way. I have dealt with dogs too, and it is very hard, because you are completly clueless on what to do. If it is a racoon, you just blow their brains out, but when its another pet........... Hope you solve your problems. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by