Another dog attack!!Erica saves the day!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ericasl, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Well I happened again another dog attack!! The dog dug a huge hole under our fence to get in. I caught it just in time. I was just walking out the door to take my son to afternoon kinder. I saw sheep and goats and chickens running. So I go running and the neighbors dog is in there with a chicken n his mouth. Had her trapped between the fence, I grabbed a rack and started hitting the dog. I got the dog to drop the chicken and I cornered the dog who is trying to get another chicken. So I dropped the rake and grabbed the bat. Well I could only get it back end but 3 good smackes with that bat and he took off out of the hole it dug to get in!!!After it turned on me and tryed to bite me.

I called the cops and they came and got the dog, the dog then bit the cop. He took it to the pound. So who knows what will happen when the owner gets home. There other dog killed one of our chickens already.

I got there in time noone was killed just some missing feathers and shackin up girls. 5 more min later I would have been gone, just think what could have happened. Thanks Lord you were watching out for us today.[​IMG]

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Sounds like the dog needed to be gotten rid of in more ways than one.

I'm glad you were there to rescue everyone. If your son is *anything* like my 5 year old, he'll be telling all his school friends about his Mom and the ball bat. [​IMG]

Em

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, now thats scarey! Im so glad you was able to save the day!! Was it a BIG dog!?? I guess you were pretty lucky either way. Glad you wasn't bitten.

4. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    I'm so glad you caught them in time.

5. puckbunny87

puckbunny87 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Norco, CA
    whew! Good job! I bet your girls are thankful!

Let us all thank our particular religious figures for the temporary insanity that takes hold of us when something comes after our babies [​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm glad you clobbered the flea bag!

I have a special shovel for such occasions.

It was good that you were home to save your birdies. If he bit the cop, he's as good as worm fodder.

7. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Glad you were there to save your chickens. Is there a way you can bury wire along your fence so the dogs can't dig under?? You'll rest easire also.

8. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I'm glad you were there to rescue everyone. If your son is *anything* like my 5 year old, he'll be telling all his school friends about his Mom and the ball bat.

Em
    Yes my son told his teacher I was hitting a dog with a baseball bat![​IMG] and everyone who would listen.

Thank goodness I volunteer alot so they know me and about my chickens.

When the neighbor got home my dh was outside, so he went and told her what happened, she said she was going to put the dog down, this was the second time her dogs have got in, they killed one hen last time and broke out a window to get in. The hole was so big he would have dug to China to get in. I could have crawled in the hole.

Why do I feel bad that they have to kill the dumb dog. I hate that dog. If they just had a good fence and played with the dumb dog. Maybe it would not be so board. I hate to see anything killed. Even though I almost killed it today with a bat. It is crazy what you can do you are trying to save something you love. I truly think mothers have lifted cars off of there kids to save them and had super power. I had power today I did not know I had.

9. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Why do I feel bad that they have to kill the dumb dog?

Well, because you are a good person, that's why. [​IMG]

It stinks, but the alternative is having the dog repeatedly come into your enclosure and try to pull wild kingdom. [​IMG] At least your neighbor realizes there's an issue. It's too bad she can't find an alternative.

Em​

10. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Think of it this way: The dog is a confirmed livestock killer and tried to attack you and the cop. So either the dog would have eventually been shot and maybe wounded while attacking more livestock,
    OR.... what would have happened if it had been a child who had been in the yard when it was attacking the chickens? If it bit the cop, then it could well have attacked a child if it had interrupted his killing spree.

SO you did everyone a favor.

It's always a shame when an animal has to take the blame for the fact it's owner doesn't properly train it or contain it.
    I have a wolf hybrid that has killed cats. (before I got him as a rescue, he was starving and was eating some kittens)
    I do not allow him to roam free. He has a large pen and we take him out on a long (25') leash to run in the fields and play in the creek. I don't know if he would still kill cats or other animals (he has been in the house a few times and ignored my cats) but I don't want to take the chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by