Another dog attack - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcclucker, Sep 30, 2016.

1. mcclucker

mcclucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    VT
    My Coop
    I'm brand new to chickens - my first flock is 4 months old. They were doing some monitored free ranging this afternoon and the neighbors dog got off leash and bit my favorite BO pullet on her backside under her tail. She has two tears - one is next to the vent and one is lower down. Shes not laying yet. She is bleeding but not excessively. The skin does pull away though to expose a bit of muscle. Maybe a half inch tear? We have sprayed vetericyn on the wounds and separated her in a playpen with a heating pad in the garage. I've given her some electrolytes and hard boiled egg (her fave) and I will find some blue cote tomorrow. When is the right time to use that? She is definitely in shock (shivering, feather fluffing, hunching over) but was eating and drinking and pooping and is not happy about the playpen. No blood in poop. She is the low girl in the pecking order so I separated her right away.

I'm so sad this is my favorite girl- what else can I do? Do I need antibiotics or to sew her up? (I think that would be a vet visit - the kids and I are really attached to this girl). What should I watch out for? It wasn't a big dog thank goodness and my neighbor feels really bad. :(

I'll post a pic later when she's not so spooked.

2. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    don't do anything until tomorrow morning and see what shape shes in if she get worse go take her to a vet

3. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    but a pic would be helpful can u post one

4. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I'm so sorry that happened! Hopefully somebody more experienced will chime in, the only suggestion I have is maybe move her to something smaller like a dog kennel. I've read on here that it's best for injured birds to have limited movement, so confine them to something smaller.

5. mcclucker

Jul 2, 2016
    VT
    My Coop
    Here's a pic. It's worse than I thought once I got a good look at it. I'll see how she is tomorrow and probably vet. [​IMG]

6. mcclucker

Jul 2, 2016
    VT
    My Coop
    I can't tell if the vent is really torn or if this is intestines or something poking out. So many feathers in the way and I don't want to hurt her :(

7. wleighton

wleighton Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    I had this very thing happen to me two weeks ago. We had two birds (my favorites) get attacked by the neighbors dog. I too am new to chickens!

We're lucky enough to have an exotic vet near us so he took a look at our birds. Clara had three puncture holes and Mabel, 2. He was able to stitch both up with dissolving stitches, gave me an antibiotic to put in their water. They were quarantined for a week in a large dog crate and both are recovering very well and have been introduced back with the flock.

I watched these forums obsessively and it sucks waiting it out. But I think you're on the right track and I think the vet would be a great help. I also put honey and apple vinegar in their water until I had the antibiotics. Keeping them isolated and hydrated is most important.

Good luck!
    [​IMG]

8. mcclucker

Jul 2, 2016
    VT
    My Coop
    That is good advice - thank you. Glad your girls are doing well! Luckily we are in a rural area and I have a vet who sees chickens. Good to know stitches helped.

9. wleighton

wleighton Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    Let us know how they do! Best of luck!

10. mcclucker

Jul 2, 2016
    VT
    My Coop
    She is walking and talking and eating this morning so I'm just going to watch her and keep cleaning the wound. If it's looking like it won't scab over and heal by Monday I'll take her to the vet. She's in a pretty small puppy playpen - not much room to move around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by