Another dog attack........

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Pumpkinpup, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have 2 missing and two wounded severely. I am pretty certain my black cochin roo will not survive and am certain one of the two missing hens is dead under my house as I heard the commotion of her attack and was helpless to reach her to lend aid. I'm just sick! The dog tore through chain link to get out and get to them. He was just a very small begal mix and I never in a million years suspected him capeable of escapeing a chain link kennel run. He had stayed there secure for a number of days with no indication of impending escape.
    Lesson: Don't ever underestimate the abilities of an animal to get to your flock!

2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Lesson: Don't ever underestimate the abilities of an animal to get to your flock!

Sad, but so true. [​IMG] I am so sorry for your losses! [​IMG] It is esspecially hard when it is your own pet that is the predator... [​IMG]

3. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:Sad, but so true. [​IMG] I am so sorry for your losses! [​IMG] It is esspecially hard when it is your own pet that is the predator... [​IMG]

What makes this even worse is that this was not my dog! It showed up on my door step and I had decided to house it for one week to try and find his rightful owners in case he was accidentally lost somehow. I was trying to do the right thing!!!! (I don't have a smilie for bangs head against wall so just insert visual here) I feel like such a dolt!

4. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Sad, but so true. [​IMG] I am so sorry for your losses! [​IMG] It is esspecially hard when it is your own pet that is the predator... [​IMG]

What makes this even worse is that this was not my dog! It showed up on my door step and I had decided to house it for one week to try and find his rightful owners in case he was accidentally lost somehow. I was trying to do the right thing!!!! (I don't have a smilie for bangs head against wall so just insert visual here) I feel like such a dolt!

[​IMG] So sorry for your losses. I know that it is hard either way, your dog or not your dog. I had a dachsund back in 2008 and she got into the run and killed one chicken and tore loads of feathers out. She no longer lives with us. Found her a nice home. [​IMG]

5. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    That is so sad...especially because you were trying to help the dog out.

6. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Update, the two with wounds are both seemingly doing ok. I am astonished since the roo seemed to have internal injuries. Time will tell I supose.
    I also found one of the missing hens, she is dead. So now only one unaccounted for. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by