1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

another DOM BR question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tigger65, May 12, 2008.

1. tigger65

tigger65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Danville
    is it a Dom or a BR ? rooster or hen ??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I can tell you that that is a Barred Rock. Dom's have rose combs I can't really tell you if its a hen or a rooster. How old is it?
    Melissa

3. tigger65

Mar 30, 2008
    Danville
    about 20 weeks

4. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    20 weeks I would say pullet

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It may even be a cross because that's some awfully strange barring on that girl.

6. tigger65

Mar 30, 2008
    Danville
    ok I confirmed with the lady that gave them to me and they should all be 20 weeks although she swears "dems Dominickers"
    So @ 20 wks this is a barred rock pullet correct?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some people call anything with barring a "Dominecker", a term I've come to despise! [​IMG] It could be a cross of the two breeds, but usually a rose comb would be dominant, so a cross should come out with a rose comb or a halfway version of one. If that is a pure Barred Rock, it's the worst barring I've seen on one, sorry to say. She's a pretty girl, but I bet she's not a purebred BR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by