Another duck question?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gloria, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

I have four 10 - 11 week old ducks, that think they have to sleep outside in the run. It's getting kind of cold out and I'm getting tired of having to go outside and make them go in for the night. Should I let them stay outside or keep making them go inside? Once I make them go in they seem to stay inside and not come back out until morning. I know ducks are usually fine outside at night in their run. But I don't know if they are old enough to be out there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I read on here somewhere that they need warmth until they feather out fully. I don't remember how long that takes but maybe someone else will answer here. [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They are probably already feathered pretty good I would think. I would say that since they know the coop is there, they would go in if they get cold enough. You could try putting a tarp around the run, so they don't have cold air blowing directly on them, and they should be fine.

4. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! Yes they are fully feathered now. I just didn't know if they were old enough to stay out in the cold yet. I've read here at BYC that ducks tend to stay outside even on the coldest days.

I left them last night to stay outside or go in by their self and they did eventually go in. So I guess they know what there doing after all, huh?

I think I might go ahead and try the tarp around the run if they don't go inside again. It would probably be a good idea to do that. But then wouldn't it fill up with snow? I don't have a roof on the run, just chicken wire. Thanks again for your help! [​IMG]

5. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    We put what they sell as weed barrier you can buy in 4' width on at least the West walls of our runs over the winter. It's enough to break the wind and easy to push thin wire through to fasten it to the fencing. Lowes, Home Depot or a hardware store sell it.

David

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah didn't think of that! A snow fence type of material would work too I would think.

7. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    The snow fence I know of is just slats of wood held together by wire that lets wind through it. I think that would be a lot more expensive than weed barrier too.

David

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've seen some that were orange plastic things, almost like sheet plastic with holes in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by