Another duck to be ID'd

desertdarlene

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
Here's another "what kind of duck is this?" type of question.

This duck is father to many of the mixes at the lake and possibly Chocolate's father (there are three that look like him). Here he is, sleeping. But, he actually stands tall and straight like a runner when he wants. I'm going to name him Big Daddy1

64797_dadtoall1205.jpg

See the family resemblance?

64797_chocolateandfriends1105.jpg

Looks like domestic ducks mating with the wild population. Big Daddy1 looks a bit like a saxony with those colours so would have come from something carrying blue genetics. I would have expected to see different colours in the offspring if mated back to a wild mallard.

Yeah, the other similar-looking drakes have more brown and one has a green head. Perhaps the green-headed one is the father of some of them, more. But, the girls looove Big Daddy1.

Now, with the females, I can definitely see the resemblance with the head, but we also have an appleyard there, too that has the same type of markings.

We have a lot of fun mixes with colors and body shapes. The bad part is that the majority of the mixes can't fly, so it's not good for the ecology of the lake to have an overabundance of non-migrating waterfowl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom