another dumb question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K-9Dog, Sep 27, 2012.

1. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    I have to ask - I integrated 2 gold comets with my existing RIR's all under a year old and also RIR's are a bit older and have been in the existing environment. both RIR's are very aggressive to the comets but the prettiest one is the most submissive and afraid and and picked on by the 2 RIR's. I believe it is getting a bit better and I have had to intercede and stop their aggressive many times; but cannot do it all the time. It seems as though the bottom of the totem pole is not even allowed to get into the nesting box without being driven out and may also be stressed as to not lay. do you think she will eventually start laying and contributing to the egg count or will it be a permanent eat the food and hang but no eggs re: production by this bottom of the barrel one?

thanks so much.

2. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I am wondering before you integrated them did you keep them seperate but allow them to see each other for awhile so they could get used to each other? How long has it been since they have been integrated? It can take a bit for everyone to settle down. They should start getting used to each other and lay off your hen allowing her to lay and move about like the rest.

3. K-9Dog

Jul 23, 2012
    due to the setup only one day of separation in a pen next to the one i have - but have only one coop and one nest box so I was forced to have to integarte them. integartion maybe 2 weeks or so now maybe onto the third?

4. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    That is more than likely the problem. They have not had time to get used to the new birds. The longer integration allows them to do so without hurting each other. This would explain why they are reacting more violently. Either way with the pecking order being jumbled around they are going to squabble and pick on each other to get it fixed again. It will take time for them to get used to each other and work it out. I would keep an eye out so that it doesn't go to far and try to let your picked on bird have some time to do her thing. Hope this helps.

5. K-9Dog

Jul 23, 2012
    yes it does. I figured so but had to ask. I also am curious about the 1 egg I am not getting. that is my problem. they are better than it was at the beginning. but the one just keeps getting picked on and also you can tell she is afraid and always watchful of the 2 RIR's.

6. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I understand. I would do the same. On the egg situation, I see you mentioned that she is being driven out of the nest box when she gets inside. Everytime she gets in they are running her out? If she is at laying age she should be laying somewhere. Are you sure she is not laying just not in the nest box since she is scared? I really don't know what else it could be.

7. K-9Dog

Jul 23, 2012
    Hey thank so for the reply,..... it would be obvious if she were layinf somewhere else and she was laying at acquisition.

8. K-9Dog

Jul 23, 2012
    It seems that the bottom of the barrel golden comet laid an egg this AM. Finally - almost 4 weeks no eggs.

Integrating 2 new hens to 2 others has been a bit of a nightmare. if they all start laying it will be worth it. Not sure I would do it again unless i had to.

9. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Well that is great! I am glad. It can be a trail sometimes and other times it goes smoothly. I suppose it depends on the birds and situation.

10. K-9Dog

Jul 23, 2012
    well nothing since that one egg. **** - go figure....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by