Another easy Christmas gift idea....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mudhen, Dec 20, 2007.

1. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Inspired by Southern28Chick's post, I thought I'd share my thrifty, fun and easy idea too!
    Mom passed four years ago, and my sister and brother and I still feel the loss, especially this time of year, as you can imagine.
    I came across some of her handwritten recipes along with some I had written down as I learned from watching her.
    Decided to make a little book of "Mom's Recipes" for each of us. Added a lot of little found items that were kicking around in the bottom of drawers: some coins she brought back from her last trip to Argentina, odd lost buttons she always put in a jar, and the like.
    On the cover I put a spoon referencing what she would call her kitchen: Las Cinco Cucharas, spanish for The Five Spoons, (we were a family of five).
    [​IMG]

For everyone else on my list (friends and neighbors) I'm knitting scarves.
    All simple, easy and from the heart!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    What a wonderful, heartfelt gift. I bet it touches your brothers and sisters to receive such a great gift.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    That's really a great idea, nice way to remember your Mom and share her memory with your brother and sister. My Aunt did that last year, she composed recipes that my grandma had from different family members. I love having it. When someone gives me a recipe, I add it to my little book and hope to pass it on to my DD.

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    That is sooooo sweet!!!!!!!

5. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Mudhen that is such a thoughtful gift filled with meaning and love. You are a good sibling! I would love to receive a gift like that.

6. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Hah, you ran out of "M's" for the word mom on your books didnt you?, sneeky I can tell the diffrence. I see gas people do that all the time and I just want to tell them "We KNOW! thats not a 9!" lol being resourcefu though very, very nice.

7. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Quote:Ok and 'I' thought I was horrible at editing everyone's typing, etc [​IMG]
    I think that is an AWESOME gift idea. I am doing my best to give as many people as I can chickens & ducks this year to save on $ as we are supposed to be buying a new house...but we'lll see how that goes.
    BRAVO to you!
    Kristi

8. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Ok and 'I' thought I was horrible at editing everyone's typing, etc
    I think that is an AWESOME gift idea. I am doing my best to give as many people as I can chickens & ducks this year to save on $ as we are supposed to be buying a new house...but we'lll see how that goes.
    BRAVO to you!
    Kristi

Hey! I thought I did pretty good....except the "L" And people wonder why im so bad at my english language arts class [​IMG] , BUT! I am proud to say I came in 2ND! place in our grades spelling Bee! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by