Another EE—sexing experts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MaryZoe, Jun 26, 2019.

1. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Bought as a Rural King or TSC EE day-old pullet $1.00 Special. Any chance it’s actually a pullet? He/she is definitely larger than his/her hatch mates. The only reason I’m hesitating in calling it a roo is that its hackle feathers are still rounded. I’m thinking it’s just because he’s young (only about 9-10 weeks old). I have someone interested in buying some roos from me. I’d hate to sell this one unless I’m pretty sure it’s a cockerel.

Attached Files:

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Legs are pretty skinny, I can't really see any saddle feathers and overall face looks pullet to me, hopefully others will agree (or disagree lol).

chrissynemetz and MaryZoe like this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Pics aren't the best, but I see a pullet.....or at least no obvious cockerel characteristics

chrissynemetz and MaryZoe like this.
  4. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    Yes, sorry about the bad photos. It’s very shy—it seems to know I want to get close, so it stays as far from me as possible. I started wondering about its gender when I saw some red feathers in its wings. Not necessarily on its shoulders. Just kind of spread throughout. Its size compared to the rest (it’s bigger) also made me wonder, but since they’re all EE mutts in that particular batch, size may not be a good indication.

5. homeschoolin momma

homeschoolin momma Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Illinois
    I'd say pullet. Feathers are nice and round and i don't see any huge wattles.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    While I don't disagree with your gender assessment, it is important to remember that the presence of bearding on a bird represses wattle development. You won't see large wattles on male or female birds of any age that are bearded

7. homeschoolin momma

homeschoolin momma Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Illinois
    Aahhh, tis true, tis true! Went back and I do see a beard in there! My old eyes!

8. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I'm totally on the fence with this one. Nothing really screams cockerel, but I'm not sure it's a pullet either. :confused: Can you post more pictures in a couple of weeks?

Table4Six likes this.
  9. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    I honestly think its a pullet.

10. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Its barely too soon to look for male feathering, but if it is male; the male saddle feathers should start coming in within the next few weeks.
    That said, with the quality of the pics I'm going to say pullet for now. I can't really see any defining features with any clarity.

cstephens1987 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: