1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another Egg Development Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FunnyBunnies12, Sep 18, 2010.

1. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just candled again tonight and out of the 9 I have 1-10# 1,2, 4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Well the only obvious continued development I'm witnessing is #10, more veins tonight and very distinct, #9 I don't see veins, but at the bottom I do see like a red cresent that has gotten a bit bigger, but I can't make out any real distinct veins like on #10, so I'm keeping 9 until day 10 just to be sure, so I'm not sure what to think of that one. But eggs 1,2,4,5,6,7,8 I believe are absolutely no good, DUDS! Not one single vein, or red cresent shape, all yellow round yolk and the light radiates through out. Instead of waiting on the 10th day (today being 7th) should I go ahead and toss the ones that show absolutely no veins, just yolk?

Also, I know I've been told not to add any more eggs, because it will affect lock down and not allow room for the other duckling, but will it still hurt lock down for 1 or 2 eggs to hatch since obviously no others are any good, if there is several new eggs incubating a week a part of this one if I were to add few from the igloo?? I'd like to have at least 2 ducklings to hatch to keep each other company. Especially if mom doesn't sit on the ones in the igloo if they are fertile. I heard 2 ducklings fair better together then alone. Or how will mom and dad accept 1 duckling if this duckling develops full term and hatches? But I'm hystatic with how #10 is coming along in development.

2. FunnyBunnies12

Nevermind about my question, I had a brain fart! I'd still have to turn the others while the one(s) in lockdown can not be turned nor the incubator opened. Just getting a little ahead of myself. Sorry

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

The crescent you see is the start of a blood ring. This means the egg is dead. You always see the spider look, if that doesn't happen then noting will develop. BTW The blood ring does contain bacteria and this egg will explode down the road. I would throw out all eggs that show nothing at day 10 for sure.

It is ok to raise one duckling. It will impress on you, which can be really nice when you want to train other ducks down the road. Plus your duckling can join its parents once it is 12 weeks old and learn from them. I would not try to rejoin it once born. The adults most likely will kill it. Especially if she has never been broody. Drakes are not fond of babies, so keep him away. In nature the mother protects the babies from the other adults.

4. FunnyBunnies12

My humidity in the incubator is at 55% temp 99-100, once #10 becomes a single egg, should I increase the humidity from 55% to what if I need to? Then if I remember you telling me correctly, on day 26 raise the humidity 75-80%. Do you think it should be sooner with a mixed breed?? Metzer farm said mallards hatch like on day 26? Rouens are in the mallard family aren't they? I'm sure they are they look it! But so are runners aren't they?

5. katharinad

Don't change the humidity now or you will kill the egg. The egg needs the high humidity in lock down so the egg can hatch and doesn't get shrink wrapped. So on day 26 you take the egg out of the turner and lay it onto the mesh and increase the humidity to 75-85%. You basically fill all the cavities in the tray with 100 degree warm water. The egg may pip the following day, but will need up to another 2 days to come out. 28 days is normal for mallard derived type of eggs. It can be earlier and it can be later. Talking to the chick once it pips will promote hatching. Metzer has different incubators. They are way more controlled then what we hobby duck owners get. I think one of their Jamesway incubators cost 20,000 dollars. As far as I recall they take them out of the incubator at day 26 and transfer them to a hatcher (different machine). This has to do with hygiene.

6. FunnyBunnies12

So it's ok that the humidity rises when I mist it? Because it will go up to 75-80% for a little bit after misting. Or if I have to add a bit more water but then gradually goes back down to 55% and stays.

7. katharinad

That is normal after misting, it will go down relatively fast. What it does is pulls extra moisture out of the egg creating a nice large air sack. That one is so important for the duckling when it gets close to hatching. This has nothing to do with the overall humidity. Once in lock down you stop misting and keep the humidity up permanently until they hatch.

8. FunnyBunnies12

So I keep the humidity up by filling the entire water channels in the plastic tray it comes in and what about adding a small sponge to be on the safe side to make sure we do have a continuous high humidity?

Thank you so much Katherine for all your help and replies![​IMG]

9. katharinad

I never needed a sponge in mine. I simply filled all the holes, even the little tiny ones in the tray's corners. I live in a very dry climate with only 20% humidity. You may only need the two in the center for yours. Do not put anything under the egg when you remove the turner. It will cut down on humidity. Humidity is defined by the surface area exposed to the air. You put a towel over the wire mesh you reduce the humidity. You don't have to worry until lock down. For now it is spot on, and yes it goes up when you replenish the tray or mist the egg. That is only for a short time, so no worry at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by