Another egg ??? what else is there?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bulldog-girl, Aug 22, 2008.

1. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I am new to having chickens. I have 12 grown hens and so far have not boiled thier eggs. The main reason is that in some of the eggs there is a bit of floating "schmutz" or somthing I can't identify anyway. I just pick it out and use the egg as normal. Does candleing expose the hidden "goodie" in the egg? I don't want to bite down on a boiled and and find a surprise. What are these little floaties anyway?[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    They're blood spots. Nothing to worry about. Are they new layers? It should stop. At the beginning, my eggs had them too, but I haven't seen any in a long time.

3. bulldog-girl

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Some of them are a year or a little older. The spots don't appear to look like blood. I have had a couple of those. These almost look like a peice of grain or something and some of the spots are white.:|

4. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Do you have any roos around?
    If you look at store bought eggs there is a white bit next to the yolk, I'm thinking that is what you are seeing...sometimes it has a "string" along with it?

5. bulldog-girl

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    No roos. The white thing is not the thing with the string. This is just a white piece of something floating around in the white. Oh well. I am sure we won't die if we eat it. [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    LOL I don't even look at mine closely anymore...were just used to all the floatie's in the eggs. We haven't died yet [​IMG] We have been eating those for years [​IMG] prob actually pretty healthy for ya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by