1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pharmchickrnmom, Sep 9, 2010.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Woohoo! Yesterday I got my first egg from my girls. I heard Marge. my br. singing the egg song for an hour tonight. Thought nothing of it as I saw no one in the tractor, just her singing outside in the pen with the others roaming around. Tonight I let the girls out for their usual freerange time and about a half hour into it, my unnamed br starts acting funny. I am in the front of the house with the girls and she takes of for the back of the house where the tractor was. So...what to do? Fortunately, my dh comes out of the back door and I tell him to watch her as she ran into the tractor. A half hour goes by and I walk back to the edge of the back yard to ask him what is going on. He shushes me and makes a squatting motion. She was in the other nest box, standing stock still for almost 10 minutes and layed an egg!! No sound whatsoever! It was a beautiful, darker brown egg than the first one and more rounded. I am so eggcited!! I am so hoping that we keep getting an egg a day but since they are just starting to lay, it might not happen. However, I hope the other 6 are not far behind!!!

2. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    No doubt a silly question, but what is the "egg song"? [​IMG] I tried looking it up online but all I got for results were a bunch of links to some silly song about loving eggs...

3. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    You'll know it when you hear it. Just search on YouTube for Chicken Egg Song. They get really excited and worked up just prior to it. We hear it in ours that are 600 feet away from the house when we're outside or have the windows open!

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    lol! this is the egg song which some hens sing before they lay an egg, or after!

5. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Nevadaron--go to the youtube link above:old Thats how I know about the egg song. There is no mistaking it when you hear it! [​IMG] Marge was going on and on but it was my unnamed barred rock who laid the egg. I am not sure who laid the first one as I was gone and found it when I got home. [​IMG] [​IMG] I am hoping for more and yes, I thanked my girl for her egg![​IMG]

6. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Thanks! That's really funny! [​IMG]

ETA: Mine just started laying a few days ago, but unfortunately, I haven't been home to hear the "song" yet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by