Another electric fence escapee

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickensista, Mar 14, 2008.

1. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Hi all,
    Looks like some others have had some losses/near losses because of an electric fence malfunction. I lost Omelet, my BO, today to the neighbor dog. Apparently the battery in his collar was low. He found a low spot in my fence and was able to get under. Just as I was getting home with my little girl - luckily she didn't see anything. Just scooted her off for her nap ASAP.
    The neighbor was very responsive and said he would get right on it.(and I think he will) It may take awhile - the dog snapped the wire with his digging... They'll be closed up in the run for now - which at least is decent sized.
    There are so many ups and downs with chickens. I'm sad about Omelet, but I can at least think about the 6 chicks coming next week.
    No real purpose for the post. Maybe a moral - don't trust electric fences.
    Thanks for listening,
    Terry

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe, Terry...I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Dang! I'm sorry you lost Omelet. But at least the owner owned up to it.

4. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Thanks, guys. I only had 8 chickens. The flock seems small and lacking with out her.
    T

5. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about omelet. So glad to hear that the dog owner has accepted responibility(sp)

6. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Im sorry that the neighbors dog got your hen. It is nice that you have a considerate neighbor who is trying to control his dog.

Chel

7. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Quote:Yes, they are pretty good. I generally see their 2 dogs as a good thing - helping to keep the wild predators away. They do chase everything.
    Their house is up for sale though - hope the new neighbors are as considerate.
    Terry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by