Another feed question...

Melodychick

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 27, 2017
South Mississippi
I am getting my first ducklings next month:woot and was wondering what to feed, so I emailed Nutrena and Purina and here are their replies
From Nutrena-
Thank you for your inquiry and for visiting our website. It is best to start your ducklings on NON MEDICATED NatureWise Chick Starter. Continue the starter feed for the first 7 weeks and then you can switch over to All Flock 18% (Country Feeds or NatureWise). All of our poultry feeds have Niacin. The NatureWise Chick Starter has 185 mg/kg. The All Flock is 125 mg/kg. The NatureWise Meatbird is 81 mg/kg. The niacin requirement for ducks per NRC is 55 mg/kg. Additional supplementation is not required but no harm if you want to add some brewers yeast. Brewer’s yeast is a very good B vitamin source as well.

From Purina-
Thank you for your question. You can feed them Flock Raiser since it has enough Niacin in the feed for ducks. Once they start breeding you will need to provide a dish of oyster shell for them so they can produce strong egg shells. If you have questrions, please let me know.

I mostly use Nutrena, and have some chicks currently on nonmedicated chick starter and the rest of the flock is on All Flock, so I have both readily available. From reading here, I take it many of you just go with Purina Flock Raiser from the beginning. Is there much difference in the Purina vs Nutrena Flock Raiser? I plan on adding nutritional yeast for extra niacin. Is there a brand of that that’s recommended? Thanks

Is there much difference in the Purina vs Nutrena Flock Raiser?
Most of it's a brand-name thing. Purina's a huge company, and it has a few more resources to put into development and production of specific feeds. A lot of special diet animal foods are only available through Purina because they're large enough to have a customer base that can justify production. Whether one's better or worse? I'd like to see a study to back me up, but I doubt you'd see any real difference.

If you're worried, just go to the expert on ducks and compare their stated nutritional requirements to the nutritional analysis on the feed tags.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm

On Nutrena's response: they specified "NON-MEDICATED," and because of that, I'm leery of their PR department. That's a very out-of-date fact from the time when they used to use medications that were poisonous to ducks. Now they use Amprollium, which is not. And really, the person telling you this stuff should know that.

I plan on adding nutritional yeast for extra niacin. Is there a brand of that that’s recommended?
Meh. Never used it, and don't plan to do so. If I'm going to add vitamins, I'm going with the cheaper option. B-complex injectable comes in nice, big bottles, contains all of the B-vitamins, and is easy to just add to their water (it can be taken orally.) B-complex tablets from Walmart are a pretty good buy as well.

All of our poultry feeds have Niacin. The NatureWise Chick Starter has 185 mg/kg. The All Flock is 125 mg/kg. The NatureWise Meatbird is 81 mg/kg. The niacin requirement for ducks per NRC is 55 mg/kg.
Wow, all of those have enough niacin for ducklings and ducks.

Why, specifically?
Mazuri because they document their ingredients which all meet or exceed the nutritional requirements of ducks and ducklings. Purina because it's easy to get, not to expensive, and is allegedly formulated to meet the needs of most ducks.

On Nutrena's response: they specified "NON-MEDICATED," and because of that, I'm leery of their PR department. That's a very out-of-date fact from the time when they used to use medications that were poisonous to ducks. Now they use Amprollium, which is not. And really, the person telling you this stuff should know that.
exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks everyone! I wondered about the emphasis on non-medicated as well, but I liked the additional info given. I had always used Purina and still do for my horses, the only reason I started using Nutrena was the pellets are smaller and my hens would eat them (they threw the Purina pellets all over and started pecking me and each other when I fed the Purina pellets in the past, had to go back to crumble until I discovered the Nutrena) and Nutrena sends coupons every month. I have access to all 3 brands mentioned. Is the Mazuri a Flock Raiser feed as well? I’ll probably go with the Purina since so many of you have had success with it. Obviously the ducklings will need crumbles, but will pellets be ok when they’re older?

Back
Top Bottom